When you have succeeded finding the codes via Datastream Navigator, you can actually download the data at one of the Datateam pc's.
Open the Excel-file with the codes and click on the tab Datastream at the top of the screen.
The first step is to choose between a Static Request or Time Series Request: Static Request has data that doesn't change in time, like name or currency. Most of the time you will want data for a certain period in time so you'll have to select a Time Series Request.
A Time Series Request consists of these steps:
- Next to Series/Lists insert the codes of the indices you are looking for. You can either type the codes manually or select a list of codes directly from Excel. Click on the button right of the bar (A).
- Next to Datatypes/Expressions insert the codes of the datatypes, like PI. With the 'dollar sign button' (B) you can adjust the currency if needed.
- At Start Date enter a specific date (mm-dd-yyyy) or a relative one (-2Y).
- At End Date enter a specific end date. If you leave it blank you will get the data till the last trading day (usually yesterday).
- At Frequency enter daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly. If possible select the smallest frequency. If e.g. you select weekly data, depending on your start date, you will get the data of one day of the week NOT the average of the week.
- Select Display Row Titles, Display Column Titles, Display Headings and Display Currency, to view in Excel what exactly you have downloaded.
Next click on Submit to start the downloading of the data.