General - Privacy and personal information
How do I change my personal details?
You can change your EUR email address in personal.idm.eur.nl You can change your profile details in the SkyDrive environment.
What data are used to set up my account in 24EUR7?
Your account is set up based upon your current ERNA account, password and email addresss. The initial email address you recieved when you started your studies at the EUR is linked to your student number, email@example.com. You can change this email address through personal.idm.eur.nl: firstname.lastname@example.org. The email address of your choice needs to be available. The changed email address is immediately synchronised with 24EUR7.
How is privacy and security addressed?
The EUR uses the Microsoft Live@Edu cloud service for 24EUR7. Several aspects are important in relation to privacy and data protection in cloud services. How Microsoft and the EUR - together with its users - deal with these issues is explained below.
- Microsoft sets high standards to guarantee privacy by taking the appropriate security measures, both from a technical and organisational point of view.
- Student data are protected on the basis of username and password in a closed environment of the EUR within the Microsoft environment.
- Legally, Microsoft is subject to European law, e.g. the Dutch Data Protection Act (Wet Bescherming Persoonsgegevens).
- A typical characteristic of cloud services is that data storage and providers are spread out over the world and may therefore also be subject to foreign law. Microsoft has indicated that all EUR data will remain within Europe.
- The most important protectors of privacy are the users themselves. Students use their own standards to decide what information they want to leave on the Internet. Some put everything on Facebook, while others only want to have access to their own data themselves and do not want to share data. Users of 24EUR7 can set their own privacy levels and determine to what extent their data are available to the outside world. The EUR recommends that students should always think very carefully about what information they want to share and with whom.
There is always the possibility that the EUR is forced to release data to the judicial authorities through a court order.
What data can others see?
24EUR7 is available for the closed user group of EUR-students. The mail and calendar environment (Outlook Web App) contains an address book where you are visible within the student population of the EUR. Outwardly, these data are not available. So students can find each other by name and initials (as known by Studielink), their student number, email address and the EUR-faculties where they’re registered.
The background for this visibility is that the application of 24EUR7 as a collaboration tool, supportive to the educational process, requires that students that cooperate in projects, classes or between faculties, can easily find eachother and communicate and plan with eachother.
In SkyDrive you can add personal data to your account profile and control who can see this. Here, you can choose if and which persons outside the closed EUR-student group can see these facts (i.e your lecturer).
How can I protect my data and configure my privacy in 24EUR7?
In order to work with 24EUR7 the EUR provided your account data to Microsoft in a protected EUR-network environment These data contain username, email address and password. Your username / password combination is well protected within the Microsoft- platform.
You can enrich your own profile data in the SkyDrive module and select who you want to share this information with. You can define the level of protection for yourself. There are different levels between "nobody can see anything" and "everything is visible to everyone”. We recommend that you manage your settings with responsibility for your privacy and always rethink what you want to share with fellow students in a project. It is not always necessary that every can see all your data.
Besides, you can define who are allowed to share, view or edit your files on the SkyDrive environment. Here again, it is your own responsibility to set the required security level on these files.
Students can use 24EUR7 for study purposes and must adhere to the ‘Use policy for computer and network facilities of the Erasmus University Rotterdam’.