Working while studying in the Netherlands

Foreign students can take part-time jobs during their studies. However, the possible lack of knowledge of the Dutch language might make it difficult for them to find a job. Students can search for part-time jobs through temporary job agencies, advertisements in newspapers, or the internet.

Please note that Erasmus MC students are strongly discouraged to take on a job alongside their studies. They will need their valuable time to study, prepare for classes, write reports and conduct research projects in the lab.

Non-EU/EEA students

Non-EU/EEA students need a work permit for part-time jobs. The employer or the employment agency needs to apply for a work permit for you.

In addition, non-EU/EEA students are only allowed to work under certain conditions. They can work either for a maximum of 10 hours per week throughout the year, or they can do full time seasonal work in June, July, and August.

EU students

Students from EU countries are allowed to work in the Netherlands without restrictions. Your employer does not need to apply for a work permit and you may work as many hours as you wish. However, you must pay income tax, so you will need a Citizen Service Number (Dutch: Burger Service Nummer, BSN).


You must be aware of the fact that once you take on a job alongside your studies, you will need to have the basic Dutch public health care insurance and pay income tax.

More information

Read more on part-time jobs by downloading the Nuffic Fact Sheet Foreign Students and Part-time Jobs. For the most up-to-date information about working while studying, please refer to the Nuffic website:

Other useful websites:



Bookmark and Share