Health Economics, Policy & Law
Master of Science (MSc) in Health Economics, Policy & Law
Get a comprehensive view. Explore the economic, political and legal approaches to the complexities of systems, and pursue various career opportunities in the public and private sectors.
What are the causes of the problems systems face? What are the solutions? Take a multidisciplinary approach that combines legal, economic, managerial, and political thinking. See how countries balance efficiency and equity in their systems. Explore the impact that the European Union and other international bodies are having on.
The master programme is internationally oriented and aims to attract students from all over the world. The language of instruction is English: all courses, working papers, exams, essays and the masterthesis will be in English. International co-operation with other universities and international health care organisations is actively sought, both for staff and student exchange.
Why study a Master in Health Economics, Policy & Law in Rotterdam?
This MSc programme, the only one of its kind in Europe, offers you the opportunity to:
- Work with some of the world’s leading research groups in health economics, policy, and law.
- Analyse actual developments in health care;
- Study national health care systems;
- Enjoy high-quality teaching;
- Take a multidisciplinary approach to policy questions.
The programme prepares you for a position in organisations such as the following:
• The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development;
• Regional health authorities and government institutions
• Medical technology agencies
• Insurance companies
• Advisory boards;
• Further study at HEPL, leading to a PhD in health economics, policy and law.
• Have an understanding of global healthcare issues and national healthcare systems.
• Have the analytical skills and the conceptual knowledge to understand the complexities of healthcare systems.
• Be able to take a legal, economic, and managerial approach in advancing your arguments.
Read more about: Education objectives Master in Health Economics, Policy & Law.
• Economics and financing of health care systems
• Economics of health and health care
• International health law
• Health technology assessment
• Health care governance
• Rationing: a multidisciplinary approach
• 3 elective courses
• Individual master thesis
The master programme alternates scientific theory and skills training through lectures, case discussions and projects. The Institute of Health Policy & Management is renowned for its teaching method of problem-based learning. This makes extensive use of case studies and requires you to participate actively.
Read more about: Mode of Education Master in Health Economics, Policy & Law.
The Erasmus University master programme Health Economics, Policy & Law is for motivated students who wish to understand health care systems and health issues from different disciplinary perspectives. The programme is open to students with a bachelor degree in a relevant subject, on their way to a promising career in health management.
All applications will be considered by the Admissions Committee that decides on admission. To qualify for the master programme, students should at least:
• Hold a bachelor degree with good results, from a recognised university and in a relevant field.
• Have proof of thorough proficiency in written and spoken English.
Read more about: Admission criteria Master in Health Economics, Policy & Law.
Do you think you meet the requirements? Start your application in Studielink. Please take a look at the faculty website for more detailed information on the application procedure.
Read more about: Application Master in Health Economics, Policy & Law.
Please see below for information about the specialisation within this Master programme.