History of Society
Master of Arts (MA) in History of Society
Are you interested in important social issues, social science and cultural history themes then this is the master for you.
In the Master History of Society we take an interdisciplinary and comparative approach in order to understand and explain historical processes. We use the knowledge from social sciences, political theory and cultural analysis to examine historical issues.
An international and comparative approach teaches you to identify similarities and differences in historical case studies. In Rotterdam you learn to describe both the broad outline and the unique and specific aspects of a historical event.
With your coursework, thesis research, and optional internships in museums, archives, or other institutions, you get a head start on a PhD in academia or a career in governmental organizations, NGOs, journalism and museums.
Erasmus is a top-ranked institution in an international, forward-looking, multi-cultural port city. The programme is taught by renowned faculty who give you the individual attention you need as you contribute to our understanding of a transforming world.
Why study a Master in History of Society in Rotterdam?
- A top educational programme which has been voted the best in the Netherlands by students (as published in the Dutch magazine Elsevier)
- History combined with social sciences, political theory and cultural analysis.
- Training in historical research of cutting-edge issues.
- Emphasis on writing-skills, analysis and debate.
- Small-scale seminars, expert supervision by Erasmus teaching staff, intensive. contacts between students and teachers.
- Optional internships with archives, museums, research institutions.
Our graduates work in (international) governmental organizations, NGOs, consultancies, journalism and museums and heritage institutes. Our graduates also move on to PhD positions in history or educational master programmes for a high-school teaching qualification.
Read more about: Career opportunities Master in History of Society
In the master History of Society you will be trained to answer cutting-edge questions on historical processes of globalisation, international relations and cultural encounters. You learn to carry out historical research on the basis of selected sources and literature. You analyse current affairs and history and link them together meaningfully by carrying out social-scientific and cultural-historical research.
Read more about: Education objectives Master in History of Society
The Master History of Society is an international programme for talented students. Our master specialisations emphasize the combination of historical research with the social sciences, political theory and cultural analysis. The programme appeals to students with broad interests and is the ideal basis for a career in governmental organizations, NGOs, journalism, museums or a PhD position. A background in history/social sciences is your ideal preparation.
- Bachelor degree in History
- Other Bachelor degrees that fulfill the requirement of a combination of history and social sciences, for assessment by the Examination Board
- Proven ability in English (TOEFL score 600/250/100 or IELTS 7.0)
- Students who have acquired a related HBO Bachelor Degree may be eligible for a pre-master programme.
Read more about: Admission criteria Master in History of Society
The application deadline for foreign students is 15 May.
Read more about: Application in Master in History of Society
Please see below for information about the specialisation within this Master Programme. Whether a specialisation is offered full-time or part-time, is indicated accordingly.
|Global History and International Relations||Full-time||Part-time|