Research Master in Health Sciences
Master of Science in Health Sciences (MSc)
Get the research bug: turn problems into questions, into protocols. Come into contact with top faculty and scientists, and pick up the skills to work in public health or quantitative medicine.
Get the methodological, theoretical, and statistical foundation you need to design and carry out your own practical research and publish your results. Work in the stimulating environment of the Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES). Attend lectures by prominent scientists. Choose your own speciality, and do cuttingedge research with the support of a personal tutor. Learn state-of-the-art research methods, and how to study the literature on an issue, analyse data, and publish in respected journals.
Erasmus MC and NIHES are top-ranked institutions with a strong international dimension. Let them be your springboard to a career in international research, public health, health policy, clinical medicine, or pharmaceutical research.
Why study a Research Master in Health Sciences in Rotterdam?
| || |
- a solid theoretical, methodological, and statistical basis for designing and implementing a research project;
- the opportunity to conduct an extensive research project under the guidance of a personal tutor;
- a stimulating international study environment;
- lectures by prominent national and international scientists.
Career opportunities Research Master in Health Sciences
| ||The degree prepares you for a career in international research or in executive or advisory positions in public health, clinical medicine, pharmaceutical research, or health policy. |
Education objectives Research Master in Health Sciences
| || |
Once you graduate you will:
- Have a thorough grounding in existing methods in scientific research.
- Be able to formulate a problem, translate it into a scientific question and, in turn, into a research protocol.
- Be able to study the literature on a given problem.
- Be able to gather and analyse data.
- Be able to draw conclusions.
- Be able to set these out in articles you submit to international peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Target audience Research Master in Health Sciences
| ||This master at Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam targets excellent students with a bachelor in clinical or public health sciences or nanobiology who wish to contribute to future developments in medicine as researchers. Specialize in epidemiology, public health or other disciplines. An international career in clinical medicine, pharmacology or in the (public) health sector awaits. |
Admission criteria Research Master in Health Sciences
| || |
- You have a Bachelor degree from a school of medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine.
- You are a graduate from a discipline related to clinical medicine and public health (health sciences, nanobiology, nutrition, biology, pharmacy, environmental sciences, social sciences, economics, etc.).
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written: The score of only two official English proficiency tests are accepted: either IELTS (International English Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Please note we only accept an IELTS from Chinese applicants (*).
- The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 (minimum score subsection: 6.0).
The minimum TOEFL scores are:
- 575 for the paper based test (minimum score subsection: 57);
- 232 for the computer based test (minimum score subsection: 23);
- 90 for the internet based test (minimum score subsection: 22).
- Make sure to enter the TOEFL Institutional Code 8462 when taking your test. An English proficiency test is not required, when you can prove with written, official certificates that English was the instruction language at your secondary school and at your university.
(*) If you have the Chinese nationailty, you will need to have your diplomas (and IELTS test score) assessed by the Netherlands Education Support Office in Beijing. If your documents have been approved, you will receive a certificate (costs € 100). Nihes needs this certificate to start the application procedure for your visa. For up-to-date information, please contact the NESO Office.
Application Research Master in Health Sciences
| ||When you register, we will ask for your academic credentials: grade list, certificates, and/or a letter of motivation. The Faculty Board of Examinations will then decide on your admission. Your chosen programme’s homepage will have details on how and when to apply. For additional information please contact the programme’s secretariat. |
Specialisation Research Master in Health Sciences
Please see below for information about the specialisations within this Research Master programme. Whether a specialisation is offered full-time or part-time, is indicated accordingly.
|Epidemiology ||Full-time ||n/a |
|Clinical Epidemiology ||Full-time ||n/a |
|Genetic Epidemiology ||Full-time ||n/a |
|Health Economics ||Full-time ||n/a |
|Public Health ||Full-time ||n/a |