Master of Science (MSc) in Health Sciences
Explore the potential of medical research. In upcoming years, important discoveries will be made in the health sciences. Take part in unearthing these discoveries.
Get the methodological, theoretical, and statistical foundation you need to design and carry out your own practical research – and publish your results. Work in the stimulating environment of the Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES). Attend lectures by prominent scientists. Choose your own speciality, and do cutting-edge research with the support of a personal tutor. Learn state-of-the-art research methods, and how to study the literature on an issue, analyse data, and publish in high-impact journals.
NIHES, at the Erasmus MC, is a top-ranked institution with a strong international dimension. Let them be your springboard to a career in international research, public health, health policy, health economics, clinical medicine, or pharmaceutical research.
Why study a Research Master in Health Sciences in Rotterdam?
- A solid theoretical, methodological, and statistical basis for designing and implementing research projects.
- The opportunity to conduct an impactful research project under the guidance of a personal tutor.
- A stimulating international academic environment.
- Lectures by prominent renowned national and international scientists and professors.
This master’s degree prepares you for a thriving career in international research as well as executive or advisory positions in public health, clinical medicine, pharmaceutical research, health policy, or health economic development.
Once you graduate you will:
- Have a thorough grounding in existing methods in scientific research.
- Be able to formulate a problem, translate it into a scientific question and, in turn, into a research protocol.
- Be able to study the literature on a given problem.
- Be able to gather and analyse data.
- Be able to draw conclusions.
- Be able to set these out in articles you submit to international peer-reviewed scientific journals.
This Master of Science programme at Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam targets ambitious students with a bachelor in a clinical or public health sciences who wish to contribute to future developments in medicine as researchers. Choose from the various specialisations to match your personal interests the best.
- You have a Bachelor degree from a school of medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine.
- You are a graduate from a discipline related to clinical medicine and public health (health sciences, nanobiology, nutrition, biology, pharmacy, environmental sciences, social sciences, economics, etc.).
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written: The score of only two official English proficiency tests are accepted: either IELTS (International English Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Please note we only accept an IELTS from Chinese applicants (*).
- The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 (minimum score subsection: 6.0).
The minimum TOEFL scores are:
- 575 for the paper based test (minimum score subsection: 57);
- 232 for the computer based test (minimum score subsection: 23);
- 90 for the internet based test (minimum score subsection: 22).
- Make sure to enter the TOEFL Institutional Code 8462 when taking your test. An English proficiency test is not required, when you can prove with written, official certificates that English was the instruction language at your secondary school and at your university.
(*) If you have the Chinese nationality, you will need to have your diplomas (and IELTS test score) assessed by the Netherlands Education Support Office in Beijing. If your documents have been approved, you will receive a certificate (costs € 100). Nihes needs this certificate to start the application procedure for your visa. For up-to-date information, please contact the NESO Office.
Do you meet the requirements? Start your application in Studielink. After your application in Studielink, Erasmus University Rotterdam informs you on the further application procedure.
Read more about: Application Research Master Health Sciences
Please see below for information about the specialisations within this Research Master programme. Whether a specialisation is offered full-time or part-time, is indicated accordingly.