Research Master in the Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts
Master of Science (MSc)
Immerse yourself. Get in-depth, internationally focused, social-scientific training. Study key issues in media, arts and society, and go on to a PhD or a career in research, policy, or consultancy.
This research master teaches you how social scientific research creates knowledge, and how you may design and carry out your own empirical research. You will explore the main lines of theoretical inquiry and contribute to the academic debate.
Erasmus University is a top-rated university in a dynamic city. This advanced, research-oriented programme is taught by top researchers, with occasional guest lectures given by renowned experts. Coursework is interactive and intensive, and can be tailored to meet individual needs.
Apply your research skills in new settings, and go on to a PhD in sociology, arts and culture studies, or media studies. The degree is also an excellent stepping stone to a career in applied research, policy, or consultancy.
Why study a Research Master in Media Studies in Rotterdam?
- Cutting-edge knowledge of contemporary issues and cultural processes, and of key developments in the field.
- Hands-on, research-oriented instruction by internationally renowned scholars in the field.
- A cosmopolitan and intellectually stimulating learning environment.
- Interactive and intensive coursework
The degree prepares you:
- to carry out research leading to a PhD;
- for a career in policy, consultancy or applied research.
Once you graduate you will have:
- in-depth knowledge of the main theoretical insights into, and academic debates within, the field of media, culture and sociology;
- a solid grasp of the latest research;
- a practical understanding of how research methods create knowledge in the social sciences;
- the ability to apply socialscientific knowledge and research skills in new or multidisciplinary settings.
Talented students with an enquiring mind, who plan to pursue a PhD in Sociology, Culture, Media and the Arts should look no further than this international research master programme at Erasmus University. This research master is the perfect preparation for an academic career, but also for a career in the private-sector.
Read more about: Target audience Research Master Media Studies
The minimum entry requirement is a university bachelor degree social sciences or arts, preferably in sociology, arts and culture studies, media, or communication. You must also have a solid background in social scientific research methods (qualitative and/or quantitative) and a sufficient level of English proficiency. Among candidates who meet these requirements a further selection takes places. Priority will be given to candidates with an excellent track record in their previous education, a strong motivation for doing research and a reference letter. If you already hold a master degree in one of the above fields, you may apply for an abridged version of the programme.
Read more about: Admission criteria Research Master in Media Studies
Read more about: Application Research Master in Media Studies