Procedure PhD placements
The Research Advisory Committee (in Dutch: VCW) advises the dean about the School’s academic policy. The members of the Research Advisory Committee meet at least once year to discuss the strategic research policy and to monitor its implementation. The meetings are not open to the public unless the Committee decides otherwise. An important duty of the Research Advisory Committee is to allocate the PhD-placements of the ESE. The procedure with respect to these placements is described below.
ESE MPhil / PhD Positions (three-year Phd project)
- All MPhil students who successfully completed the first two years of the MPhil programme at the Tinbergen Institute or ERIM with good grades are guaranteed for a three-year PhD position at ESE.
- Although MPhil candidates are guaranteed for a PhD position at ESE, the supervisor must still submit the 'PhD programme application form' (see right sidebar) to the Secretary of the Research Advisory Committee before the stated deadline on the website (please include a CV and a list of grades of your candidate with the application form)
- Only the ordinary, personal and endowed professors of our School, who are members of one of the respective Graduate Schools (ERIM / Tinbergen Institute), are authorized to apply for a slot in ESE's PhD programme.
- The Research Advisory Committee meets in May to advise the Dean on the submitted application forms and proposed candidates.
- The Dean will respond to the supervisors within three weeks after the meeting of the Research Advisory Committee whether the application has been approved or rejected by the Dean or if there are some questions which need to be answered before the Dean can make a decision.
Please note that the PhD project must start within six months after receiving the confirmation that the application has been approved. Unless the supervisor can state specific circumstances (for instance the candidate is not filling the position after all), the approved application form is no longer valid after six months have passed.
- The Graduate Schools (ERIM / Tinbergen Institute) will contact the accepted PhD candidate after being informed of the Dean's decision for details concerning the appointment of the PhD candidate.
Please note that to allow for due diligence during the appointment process all necessary documentation has to be received by the graduate school 10 weeks prior to the intended starting date of the appointment of the PhD candidate.
- Within 3 weeks after the receival of all necessary documentation by the graduate school the PhD candidate will receive the letter of appointment from the Department of Personnel and Organization of the ESE.