Procedure PhD placements
The Research Advisory Committee (in Dutch: VCW) advises the dean about the School’s academic policy. The members of the Research Advisory Committee meet at least once a year to discuss the strategic research policy and to monitor its implementation. The meetings are not open to the public unless the Committee decides otherwise. An important duty of the Research Advisory Committee is to allocate the PhD-placements of the ESE. The procedure with respect to these placements is described below.
ESE PhD Positions (regular four-year PhD project and externally financed project)
Please note: the procedure outlined below will be used from the end of 2012 onwards. This procedure differs significantly from the procedure used earlier. Please consult this document for detailed documentation about the new procedure.
- Only the ordinary, personal and endowed Professors of our School, who are members of one of the respective Graduate Schools (ERIM and / or The Tinbergen Institute), are authorized to apply for a slot in ESE's PhD programme. The Research Advisory Committee meets yearly in May to discuss these applications.
- To apply the supervisor (in Dutch: promotor) must submit a 'PhD programme application form' (see right sidebar) by e-mail to the Secretary of the Research Advisory Committee before the stated deadline(s) on the website.
Please note that every PhD project must be affiliated to one of the ESE graduate schools (ERIM or The Tinbergen Institute). Each graduate school requires its prospective students to pass certain admission requirements before being accepted by the graduate school. More information about these requirements can be found on the website of each graduate school (ERIM / The Tinbergen Institute). Supervisors are strongly advised to keep these requirements in mind when selecting potential PhD candidates.
- Projects can be optionally included in a recruitment drive to recruit more widely and allow supervisors to search for qualified candidates outside their own network. Projects included in the recruitment drive will be advertised on the internet. Interested candidates can fill out an online application form to apply for the project. All necessary documentation will be collected using the online form. When multiple candidates have applied for your project the administrative office of the graduate school will contact you to help you select a suitable candidate.
- For projects not included in the recruitment drive the secretary of the VCW will contact the candidate to ask him / her to fill out the online application form (if necessary). All necessary documentation will be collected using the online form. Therefore there is no need for the supervisor to request this information from the candidate.
- When all application files are complete the Research Advisory Committee meets to advise the Dean on the submitted application forms and proposed candidates.
- The Dean will respond to the supervisor(s) within three weeks after the meeting of the Research Advisory Committee whether the application has been approved or rejected by the Dean or if there are some questions to be answered before the Dean can make a decision.
Please note that a PhD project must start within six months after receiving the confirmation that the application has been approved. Unless the supervisor can state specific circumstances (for instance the candidate is not filling the position after all), the approved application form is no longer valid after six months have passed.
- The graduate school (ERIM or The Tinbergen Institute) will contact the accepted PhD candidate after being informed of the Dean's decision for details concerning the appointment of the PhD candidate.
Please note that to allow for due diligence during the appointment process all necessary documentation has to be received by the graduate school 10 weeks prior to the intended starting date of the appointment of the PhD candidate.
- Within 3 weeks after the reception of all necessary documentation by the graduate school the PhD candidate will receive the letter of appointment from the Department of Personnel and Organization of the ESE.