Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
Master of Arts in Early Modern Intellectual History (MA)
Get the big picture: politics, philosophy, and law in the mix. Learn the craft of digging into the early modern period, get experience abroad and across the disciplines, and shape the lively debate.
Work under the expert supervision of top faculty and study abroad, perhaps, at other prestigious institutions in Europe. Partners include Trent University and the University of Verona, in Italy, and the University of York and Corpus Christi College, Oxford, in the UK.
Contribute to rigorous and high-quality scholarly debate as you do specialised research in one of the three subfields. Become an expert in crafting new research problems based on the understanding you get of the state of the art.
The Erasmus Center for Early Modern Studies organises symposia and seminars and regularly hosts experts in the field. It also supports cutting-edge research in legal history, the history of political thought and the history of philosophy.
Why study a Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History in Rotterdam?
| || |
- a focus on the interactions among early modern history of political thought, philosophy, legal history and on the issues and debates common to them;
- the opportunity to study at a partner institution;
- expert supervision by Erasmus teaching staff and, where applicable, by colleagues in partner institutions.
Career oppertunities Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
| || |
The degree prepares you to:
- Perform research leading to a PhD thesis.
- Carry out related research activities in junior research positions in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Serve in any role in which the international and interdisciplinary character of the curriculum will give you a particular advantage.
Read more about: Career oppertunities Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
Education objectives Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
| || |
Once you graduate you will be able to:
- Research and debate the issues in the three interrelated subfields.
- Work with source materials written in Latin, being a main part of the relevant source material.
- Formulate original and innovative research problems.
- Apply your knowledge and skills in new and possibly multidisciplinary contexts.
- Have a technical and theoretical command of relevant sources.
Target audience Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
| || |
Intellectually powerful students who understand that the present can only be understood in its historical context enter the Erasmus University Rotterdam Master programme Early Modern Intellectual History. This research programme builds on one of the most thriving areas of historical research in recent decades and also offers excellent opportunities to study abroad.
Admission criteria Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
| || |
- Bachelor degree in Philosophy, Law, History or Sociology
- Grade for the BA thesis is at least 8
- Average grade of the BA is at least 7
- Alternatively: Master degree in any of the above disciplines
- Proficiency in English (TOEFL 600/250/100 or IELTS 7.0)
- Proficiency in two other modern languages
- Satisfactory letter of intent
Read more about: Admission criteria Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
Application Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History
| || |
The application deadline is 1 June. Please fill out the form "Request for Admission Research Master Programmes".
Read more about: Application Research Master in Early Modern Intellectual History