Learn to develop your consulting skills and apply them to actual projects supported by renowned consulting firms.
|Name of minor:||Strategy Consulting|
|Offered by:||Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM); Department of Strategic Management and Business Environment|
|Other programmes which are contributing to the minor:||not applicable|
|Access:||See admissions matrix|
Consulting firms like McKinsey, PriceWaterhouseCoopers and KPMG play an important role in today’s business world; they aim at helping organisations and their managers to improve performance and to create growth. These firms primarily do so by partnering with clients to identify the highest value-adding opportunities, analyzing existing organisational and managerial problems and assisting companies in transforming their businesses.
During this minor you will learn three basic aspects in the area of consulting. First, we make you understand the approach and methods applied by these consulting firms. Second, you will actively develop and apply consulting skills by working on an actual consultancy project, coached by RSM and our renowned consulting partners. Third, you learn about how consulting firms are organised and positioned.
During this Minor, students learn to:
- Understand the approaches, methodologies and techniques applied by renowned management consulting firms during the advisory process
- Understand key aspects of the advisory process such as conducting acquisitions, analysing and diagnosing problems, focus on the client, and designing presentations
- To put things learnt into practice; i.e. to develop and apply their own consulting skills by working on consulting projects which include each step of the consultancy process from identifying issues to conducting presentations
- Understand the consulting industry as well as similarities and differences between consulting firms
No prior knowledge of management consulting is required. Students should have good command of spoken and written English. Please note that this minor requires dedication and hard work
Maximum number of students that can participate in the minor: 85
Minimum number of students that can participate in the minor: 8
Module 1: Understanding Strategy Consulting
- ECTS: 7
- Content: Module 1 introduces students, first, to the approaches, methodologies and techniques applied by strategy consultants. Second, it addresses key aspects of the advisory process such as conducting acquisitions, analysing and diagnosing problems and interacting with the client. Third, it delves into the structure of the consulting industry and its firms. Module 1 does so by providing students with the associated theoretical background, tools and methods from areas like strategy formation, industry analysis, organisational renewal, organisational learning, and strategy implementation.
- Teaching method: Lectures including guest lectures by management consulting firms,
case studies and small team based assignments combining modules 1 and 2
- Teaching materials: Grant (2012). "Contemporary Strategy Analysis” 8th edition. ‘Text Only’ Version (Wiley, ISBN: 9781119941880)., additional literature and case studies
- Contact hours: 27
- Offered by: RSM, Erasmus University; Department of Strategic Management and Business Environment
Module 2: Practicing Strategy Consulting
- ECTS: 8
- Content: Module 2 helps students further develop and apply their own consultancy skills. To do so, each team of students will get involved -during the whole trajectory of the minor- into an actual consulting project. During the course of these projects students will learn and experience to apply the methodologies and techniques of management consultants and work on the key aspects of the advisory project ranging from identifying and analysing strategic, managerial and organisational problems to presenting and discussing solutions. During this trajectory, students will be intensively coached by both RSM staff and representatives of the consulting firms. The team-based investigation results in a research and advisory report including presentations; this is the team-based assignment for Module 2. To further support you, consultants from several leading advisory firms will come for skill sessions: workshops on essential consulting skills that cover the whole consulting cycle: from acquisition up until the final presentation. These sessions are often the same as those taught by these consultants to their junior employees or clients. This module will give you an excellent opportunity to experience the everyday challenges of a consultant!
- Teaching method: Individual team-based coaching sessions with coaches from both RSM and consulting firms; small team based assignments combining modules 1 and 2; Skill Sessions (workshops)
- Contacthours: 36
- Programme offering the module: RSM, Erasmus University; Department of Strategic Management and Entrepeneurship
- Teachingmaterials: Wiebes, Baaij, Keibek and Witteveen (2007). “The Craft of Strategy Formation” (Wiley, ISBN: 9780470518595).
Method of examination:
- Module 1 (40%): Written, closed book, open questions, individual exam
- Module 2 (60%): Team-based written assignment
Composition of final grade:
There is no closing exam. Instead, students receive a grade for the minor based on the grades of the two modules. The closed book exam must be closed with a positive grade of 4,5 or higher.
Feedback will be given with help of an electronic assessment form.
Dr. Michiel Tempelaar
Phone : (010) 408 1877