Master in Urban Management and Development (UMD)
Master of Science in Urban Management and Development (MSc)
Are you investing in your city? Are you investing in your future? The 12 month MSc Programme in Urban Management and Development trains post-graduate urban professionals to make cities work.
In the Master programme -Urban Management and Development IHS combines theory with practice. IHS offers professionals seeking a deeper understanding of the powers at work in cities, a practical focus and worldwide experience connected with international urban research. Through its comprehensive approach, the programme takes the economic, social, physical, managerial and political aspects of urban management and development into perspective.
It provides a unique opportunity for students to grasp what they need to know to become innovative urban managers. Leaders who are able to analyse and develop cities based on a thorough grasp of urban theory and practise.
Why study a Master in Urban Management and Development?
- Truly international environment: participants, lecturers and case studies from all over the world.
- Multidisciplinary approach in theory and practise.
- 6 different specializations to cater the programme to your specific interest.
- Joint courses with partners from the public and private sector and expertise educational institutes.
- A solid base for a career as an urban professional.
This MSc-programme prepares students for career positions both in the private and public sector, international organizations, consultancy firms, advisory boards, and other government institutions. Our alumni include businessmen, ministers, mayors, successful consultants and renowned NGO activists. The programme also offers a solid basis to pursue a PhD.
Read more about: career opportunities Master in Urban Management and Development
- Analyse and evaluate trends and theories in urban development within a global context.
- Argue the need for an innovative multi-actor and multidisciplinary approach in urban management.
- Analyse urban problems, assess development potential and propose innovative strategies and policies based on applied research.
- Apply practical skills as a policymaker or manager.
Target audience Master in Urban Management and Development
Our quickly urbanizing world is in need of people who can make cities work. IHS is looking for highly motivated students from diverse backgrounds that have a passion for cities and are interested in enhancing their professional knowledge and researching the combination of urban theory and practice.
- A bachelor's degree from a recognised university or similar institute in a related field.
- Evidence of a sufficient oral and written command of the English language.
- Working experience in relevant fields is preferred.
- Intercultural skills
Read more about: admission criteria Master in Urban Management and Development
To apply, please go to www.ihs.nl/login. The form can also be sent by post or e-mail, if requested. Please attach two passport photographs, certified copies of diplomas and degrees, language test results and if appropriate an employer's statement.
Read more about: application Master in Urban Management and Development
Specialisation Master in Urban Management and Development
|Managing and Financing Urban Infrastructure (MFUI)||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Housing and Livelihoods (UHL) ||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Environmental Management and Climate Change (UECC) ||Full-time||n/a|
|Integrated Planning and Strategies (IPS) ||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Land Development (ULD)||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Competitiveness and Resilience (UCR)||Full-time||n/a|