There are databases and catalogues, like the UL-catalogue, without a direct export option. It's possible to add references from these databases to RefWorks with the Import option. You first save the titles and then you upload that file in RefWorks.
In general, this works as follows:
- Perform a search in the database or catalogue.
- Mark the titles you want to add to RefWorks.
- Export the titles and save them as a text file (.txt) or a RIS-file.
- Open RefWorks and log in.
- Click on References and select Import.
- Choose the correct Import Filter/Data Source from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the correct Database from the drop-down menu.
- Search for the saved text file with Browse.
- Click on Import at the bottom of the screen.
- RefWorks shows how may titles are imported. Click the button View Last Imported to check the titles or close the screen.
TIP: You can choose hundreds of Import Filters. Which Import Filter/Data Source and Database you have to choose, can be found in this pdf-file.
To add references from the University Library (UL) catalogue to your RefWorks account, you have to use the import option. These are the steps you have to take:
- Perform a search in the UL catalogue.
- Click Save under the title description for each title you want to add to your RefWorks-account.
- Click on myshelf at the bottom of the screen in the Save screen.
- When you are finished searching, click on My Shelf at the top of the screen. You'll see the titles you've added.
- Click on Save under the list of titles.
- Check the number in the Last box. If there are more than 10 titles in your list, change it to the correct number.
- When you are using the english version of the UL-catalogue, click on the dutch flag in the right upper corner. (This will make the output for RefWorks better.)
- Choose MOPC behind Formaat.
- Click on the button Opslaan.
- Save the txt-file.
- Go to RefWorks and log in.
- Click on Reference and choose Import.
- Choose PiCarta in the Import Filter/Data Source drop-down menu.
- Choose PiCarta in the Database drop-down menu.
- Use the Browse button to find the saved text file.
- Select UTF-8 behind Encoding (you can find UTF-8 at the top of the dropdownmenu, it's not alphabetically ordered).
- Click Import.
- RefWorks shows the number of titles imported. Click the button View Last Imported to check the titles or close the screen.
Please note: when you import titles from the UL-catalogue into RefWorks in this way, the publication year is always twice in your reference. You have to edit this.
Do you use the browser Mozilla and do you want to import more than 10 titles from the UL-catalogue? Unfortunately, Mozilla doesn't save the complete text-file, only the first 10 titles are saved. This is a work-around: copy the text you get at step 9 with Control A and Control C. Instead of browsing to the saved document (step 15), you paste the text in the textbox under Import Data from the following Text.