Starting with RefWorks
Creating a RefWorks-account
To be able to use RefWorks, you need a RefWork-account. You have to create it yourself.
EUR-students and -employees have to follow these steps:
- Go to www.refworks.com from a computer on the EUR-campus or via a VPN-connection.
- Click on Login.
- Click No if you see a pop-up with the message 'Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?'
- Make sure that you see 'Erasmus University Rotterdam' under 'Login using RefWorks credentials'. This means that RefWorks recognizes you as an EUR employee or EUR student and you don't have to pay for your account.
- Click on the link Sign up for a New Account.
- Enter your ERNA email address (please note: a EUR-student e-mailaddress ends with @student.eur.nl)
- Choose your login name and password (don't use & in your login name). RefWorks encourages users to choose their e-mail address as their login name, so RefWorks enters it for you. It's possible to overwrite this.
- Click the button Next
- Enter your name
- Select your subject area and faculty (user type).
- Enter the codes you see on the screen.
- Click on the button Create Account.
- Your account has been made, you can use RefWorks directly. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from RefWorks.
You can log in with your account at www.refworks.com. When you want to log in from a computer outside the EUR network, you have to use the Group Code. You can find this code in the confirmation e-mail from RefWorks.
Creating in-text citations
With RefWorks you can add references to a Word-document. You can do this in a number of ways, the easiest way is by using the program Write-n-Cite. You have to install this program on your computer: go to the tab Tools in your RefWorks account and choose Write-n-Cite.
There are two versions of Write-n-Cite available. Write-n-Cite 4 is more user-friendly, but this version works only with Word 2007 and 2010. If you use an older version of Word, you have to install Write-n-Cite III. How to work with Write-n-Cite is explained here.
Caution: don't create a RefWorks-account when you see the screen below: you'll make a temporarily RefWorks-account and you will be charged to access your database after 30 days. When you don't pay, your references will be inaccessible.
When you see this screen when you want to login, enter the Group Code of the EUR - you recieve this code from RefWorks in the confirmation e-mail.
Lost your username or password?
If you have lost your username or password, send us a message via the Feedback Form at the bottom of the menu to the left. We'll request a new password for you so that you don't lose your RefWorks references.