The EDSC provides access to financial and social science databases and gives individual support and workshops for students and staff of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. For this work the EDSC has a team of 5 specialists - the Datateam. The Datateam is itself supported by an advisory body made up of representatives from the faculties concerned and the University Library.
Due to the increasing importance of quantitative research the University Library in collaboration with the Schools of Management (RSM) and Economics (ESE) started up the Erasmus Data Service Centre (EDSC) in 2006. At first the emphasis was on financial data but since the summer of 2007, the work terrain of the EDSC has been expanded to cover social sciences data. This has been achieved in collaboration with Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB).
The EDSC mission is to provide excellent research data support for researchers, teachers and student throughout the data lifecycle. This is done in cooperation with: Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences, RSM, Tinbergen Institute and University Library.
Every 4 years the EDSC writes a strategic plan. This document describes how we approach new developments and provides an overview of relating (new) services. Have a look at the EDSC Strategic Plan 2018-2021
- Provide access to databases for business, management, economics and finance research
- Information provisioning and usage support for business, economics and financial databases
- Individual student support financial and economic databases
- Subject oriented workshops: M&A’s, Annual Reports, Board & CEO Data, Bloomberg Terminal.
- Data management plan support (DMP support)
- Research data management workshops (RDM tools, DMP’s, etc.)
- RDM consultancy (e.g. storage, dataset publishing, etc.)
- EUR intermediary for third party data access (e.g. CBS, UWV)
- Consultancy and information provisioning for social science databases
- Text and data mining consultancy
Click "Read more" to see the members of the EDSC advisory board
- Dr. Vadym Volosovych (Erasmus School of Economics)
- Dr Michel van der Wel (Erasmus School of Economics)
- Dr. Dion Bongaerts (Rotterdam School of Management)
- Dr Richard Haans (Rotterdam School of Management)
- Dr Caspar David Peter (Rotterdam School of Management)
- Dr. Joran Jongerling (Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences)
- Dr. Asya Pisarevskaya (Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences)
- Drs. Gusta Drenthe (University Library)
Apart from the above mentioned departments the EDSC participates in the following networks as partner.
Regional - EDSC has good contact with colleagues of the Leiden, Delft and Erasmus strategic alliance.
National - EDSC members are part of the LCRDM (national coordinator Research Data Management in the Netherlands). We have a representative in the UKB RDM group (Dutch University Libraries) and are the ambassadors of the EUR for SURF.
International - In 2019 EDSC joined the ZBW network, members of the EDSC yearly participate in IASSIST, iDCC, and LIBER conferences.
Current team members
- Arjan de Wit
- Lennard Böckenförde
- Nynke de Groot
- Paul Plaatsman
- Rob Grim
- Ronald Brabers