CSC PhD supervisors
- Information about the CSC scholarship
- Applying for a PhD candidate
- Selection procedure
- English requirement for the PhD candidate
- Officially accepting a PhD candidate
- Announcement of granted CSC scholarships
- Requirements for the research proposal
- FAQ for PhD supervisors
In October of 2009, EUR signed an agreement with the China Scholarship Council (CSC), a Chinese governmental organization that grants scholarships for Chinese students that go abroad each year. This agreement is important because:
- It will help EUR to attract Chinese students, whose studies are financed for a large part by the Chinese government.
- It signifies that the Chinese government recognizes Erasmus University Rotterdam as an active partner, a fact that strengthens EUR’s position and image in China.
After 4 successful years of recruiting PhD students with a CSC scholarship. In June 2013, the agreement was renewed for another 4 years.
The CSC contract involves scholarships for PhD students lasting for a period of 48 months. The costs of a round-trip flight and an additional amount of € 1200,- for monthly room rental and living expenses are paid entirely by the CSC.
EUR professors fill in the form ‘Project Description’ (available upon request at EUCC). Every year there is a new cycle, which will be revealed once determined. From October, the EUCC advertises your proposal(s) in China through CSC and the websites of universities. Students can apply for them at Ms. Selano Li (firstname.lastname@example.org), EUR's main representative in Beijing.
- Have the prospective applicants send their CV’s, diplomas and motivational letters to you, as well as to the Erasmus University China Center (EUCC)’s Beijing office (email@example.com).
- The EUCC will assess and submit the documents to the Admission Office:
- Bachelor-Master degree (in relevant subject area) accredited by Nuffic and their Master degree score list (all documents should be in English and by an official authorized institute).
- A sufficient TOEFL or IELTS score (see below). More specific requirements on application documents will be released soon.
- It is recommended that professors request the candidate's articles for assessing their written English and schedule an interview via the webcam to assess their English speaking proficiency to get an impression of the candidate.
- To accept a candidate and send a ‘Letter of Acceptance’ (please request it from EUCC) to the candidate (deadline before March 8, 2018) supported by EUCC.
- The scholarship from CSC is only granted to the candidate after the supervisor has confirmed in written format that the candidate has been accepted.
- For further coordination in China, Ms Selano Li (firstname.lastname@example.org), can assist you as a first screener.
- If the students receive the CSC grant, the International Office of each faculty should assist in inquiring for a visa, residence/work permit, housing and insurance issues.
- Be aware that in China, a Master and PhD degree can be obtained simultaneously and not necessarily consecutively as in the Netherlands.
IELTS is an international standardised test of English language proficiency. For the PhD candidates:
If the faculty does not have special English requirements, general requirement from Admission Office is applied.
- IELTS score of 7.0 is compulsory (EUR requirement: minimal sub-score of 6.0 for Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
Or TOEFL score of 100 is compulsory (EUR requirements: minimal sub-score of 20 each for Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing)
- When all the requirements are met and you want to accept the applicant, you can send the applicant a ‘Letter of Acceptance’ (please request it from EUCC) (deadline before 20th of March 2018).
- Acceptance letter should be printed on original EUR paper.
- Please fill in the spaces with correct information. Send a scanned version to the candidate and EUCC (email@example.com).
- Send the original letter to the candidate.
- The candidate needs to send the letter to the International Office of his/hers home university.
Note: The acceptance letter is also the proof of tuition waver.
The CSC will publish the list of students granted with a scholarship in end of May 2018.
The candidate needs to submit a research proposal (min. 1000 words) which is signed by the promoter at EUR.
The proposal needs to contain the following:
- The title of the PhD research
- Description of the research
- Previous research results of the candidate in China
- Goal and expectations regarding the research in abroad
- Research methods
- Timetable for the research
- Expected applicability of the research
Please contact the EUCC for further questions.
Mrs. Selano Li (For initial questions and assessments)
Erasmus University China Center Beijing Office
Room 518, Sunjoy Mansion Annex Building
Ritan Road, Chaoyang District
Beijing, 100020, P.R.China
Mrs. Weichia Tseng
Managing Director, Erasmus University China Center (EUCC)