Purpose of your text
Work out the purpose of your text or page before you start writing. What do readers need to know or do? What questions will they have?
Subject the text you have written to the ‘relevance test’:
- What questions do my readers have? Have I answered them? Make sure your text reflects the likely wording of the online search.
- What can my readers do with this information? Ask ‘What’s in it for them?’ or ‘Who cares?’.
- Is the information comprehensible?
- Do I expect actions from the readers? And is this clear?
- Study your readers’ behaviour. Numerous statistics are kept on online channels. What are my readers’ main tasks – what do they need to do?