Pilot Hybrid Education
From September 2021 to June 2022, a pilot was conducted with hybrid education in 11 rooms at Theil. The results of the pilot will be shared here after the summer holidays. The rooms equipped with facilities for the pilot will remain available for the coming academic year. However, support from student assistants will be much more limited.
For the pilot hybrid rooms, 11 rooms in Theil have been equipped with extra equipment. After several months of experimenting and learning a lot, it has become apparent that with the current equipment of these rooms it is not possible to offer both online and offline students the same learning experience. At the same time, we note that the current facilities still meet a need. Therefore, here is a brief overview of what you can and cannot do in these rooms:
Set up live Zoom connection
Set up breakout rooms via the panel
Raise Zoom-hand to raise a question
Use Zoom chat via the panel
Un-mute students one by one
Use 'mute all' function of Zoom via the panel
Online student's audio is reinforced in lecture hall when un-muted
Campus student's audio is reinforced in Zoom (can be done with an extra microphone or catchbox)
Lecturer audio available in lecture hall and in Zoom at the same time
Equal discussion with online and offline participants at the same time
Presentation is visible in lecture hall and in Zoom at the same time
Getting to know the equipment
Are you planning to teach hybrid classes next academic year and have you worked in a hybrid classroom before? The use of the Zoom rooms requires some training, but experience shows that for most teachers following the steps below is sufficient to work independently in Zoom rooms.
- Read the manual and set Zoom correctly.
- Follow one of the demonstrations (dates, times and locations below).
- Organize a trial session yourself before your course starts.
- If something does not work after that, please contact MSC Helpdesk.
NB. Student Assistants (SA) from CLI are only available for demonstrations, no longer for help during classes. If you work with an SA yourself, you can take him/her with you to the demonstration.
Between the 22nd of August and 16th of September, 2 to 3 demos will be offered per week. From October to December, 2 demos will be offered per month. The first three demos will take place on the dates below. The dates of the other demos will follow and will also be published here.
- Monday August 22 – 10:00-11:00 – Theil C2-1
- Wednesday August 24– 10:00-11:00 – Theil C2-1
- Wednesday August 24– 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-1
- Monday August 29- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-1
- Wednesday August 31- 15:00-16:00 - Theil C2-5
- Monday September 5- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-5
- Wednesday September 7- 15:00-16:00 - Theil C2-5
- Monday September 12- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-6
- Friday September 16- 15:00-16:00 - Theil C2-1
- Tuesday September 20- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-6
- Tuesday September 27- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-6
- Wednesday October 12- 15:00-16:00 - Theil C2-6
- Monday October 24- 15:00-16:00 - Theil C2-5
- Wednesday November 9- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-1
- Tuesday November 22- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-6
- Wednesday December 7- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-1
- Tuesday December 20- 11:00-12:00 – Theil C2-6
- Theil CB2, CB3, CB4 – in these rooms you start Zoom from the teacher PC (manual)
- Theil CB1, CB5, C2-1, C2-2, C2-3, C2-4, C2-5, C2-6 – these are so-called Zoom rooms where you start Zoom from the panel in the room (manual).
- Virtual Classroom – in studio 4 above the auditorium – here you can teach completely online with a maximum of 2 people.
Do you work in a hybrid form and do you need didactical support to serve both target groups as well as possible? Please contact the Learning and Innovation team of your own School, or get inspired by the teaching activities of teachEUR.
The pilot experimented with didactic and technical interventions to organize hybrid education in such a way that it is pleasant for teachers and students and contributes to increasing the quality of education. The teaching experiences of teachers and students have been evaluated and have resulted in an advisory memorandum with recommendations. The results will be shared here after the summer.
This initiative is linked to ErasmusU_Online, which facilitates the organization of online-only education EUR-wide.