Borrowing from another library
If a book or periodical article is not in the collection of the University Library, the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) or the Rotterdamsch Leeskabinet (RLK) you can borrow this from another library via Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
What do you need?
- A valid library card of the University Library, the ISS or the RLK;
- EUR-students use their student card.
How to request a publication?
- Search the book or periodical article in sEURch. If the publication is not available in a EUR library, the button Request item through interlibrary loan will appear. Click on this button.
- Enter the details of your ERNA account (EUR employees/students) or Library Account (other borrowers).
- Check the information on the application form and indicate at which Pickup Desk (University Library or ISS Library The Hague) you want to retrieve the book.
- Check the I accept box if you agree with the costs and conditions.
- Click on Submit Request.
Once your request has been sent you will enter your own ILL portal. You will receive a confirmation of your request, including a reference number. Delivery of a book or article takes just over a week.
For monitoring the progress of your requests or opening delivered copies, you can log in to your ILL portal.
- Click in sEURch on the Sign in button at the top right of the screen;
- Login with your ERNA account or Library account;
- Select My ILL Requests.
- A book can be collected at the information desk of the library you selected. You will be notified by e-mail. The loan period is four weeks. You can extend the loan period yourself in sEURch via My Account unless the book has been recalled by the supplying library.
Requested copies are delivered as a PDF. You will receive an e-mail with a link and password. The link is also available in your ILL portal.
The PDF is available for 30 days and can be opened up to 5 times. After this, the PDF is automatically deleted. Advice: download the PDF to your own PC.
Requesting books from abroad
A publication that is not available in a Dutch library can be ordered from abroad. You should allow several weeks for delivery. Books from abroad can in principle be borrowed for four weeks, unless the supplying library indicates that it may only be consulted in the EUR library.
Rates, payment and conditions
- EUR staff can borrow books and request copies from another library free of charge.
- EUR students or other users pay the following rates.
- You pay the costs for borrowing a book via pin or credit card when you pick it up at the information desk.
- Copies are paid at the information desk or via iDEAL.
- A requested book can consist of more than one item. Costs will be charged per item.
- Charges apply to all submitted requests whether or not you collect your book.
- Loss of a book must be reported to the library immediately. If you lose a book the replacement and administration costs charged will depend on the library that supplied the book.