The Rotterdamsch Leeskabinet Association was founded on 17 March 1859. Not long thereafter, on 24 May of the same year, the Association was provided with premises, and the Leeskabinet could open its doors.
The Association’s mission is the upkeep of the Rotterdamsch Leeskabinet and the organizing of activities in the fields of scholarly learning and culture.
In practice, the Association ensures that the book collection of the Rotterdamsch Leeskabinet – a collection that is part of the cultural heritage of the city of Rotterdam – is conserved and extended. Furthermore, the Association offers lectures and other activities in the fields of literature, culture and history. In so doing, the Association has been playing an independent role in knowledge transfer in the fields of culture and scholarly learning within Rotterdam for 150 years now.
These are the members of the board of the Rotterdamsch Leeskabinet Association (as per 12-6-2008):
mr. H.E.M.Vrolijk (voorzitter)
mr. J. de Muinck Keizer (secretaris/penningmeester)
prof. dr. C.W.A.M. van Paridon
mevr. dr. C.B.M.Thoen