Course Academic writing PhD
Are you a PhD student of Erasmus University Rotterdam? Are you in the process of writing a PhD thesis or academic article and would you like to have some help?
You gain experience with various aspects of scientific writing by making assignments. In addition,you give (and get) feedback and you will learn from good examples of others and are being
confronted with your own mistakes and those of others. Course participants are expected to spend approx. three hours a week on course preparation and self-study.
These courses consists of six group sessions and one individual session. In this course you learn how to write academic texts in proper English. You'll learn about the pitfalls for non-native authors, the dos and don'ts and the conventions. We will work on:
- the writing process;
- formulating an argument;
- excellent organisation and coherence at text level;
- writing good paragraphs;
- structure and discourse;
- writing correct English at sentence level (including grammar, style and vocabulary);
- accessing literature sources and applying this to your writing.
Good to know
- This course is only open to PhD students who are in the process of writing a PhD thesis or academic article. Participants must be able to produce examples of their own written
work, as this will be a part of the material used in the course.
- The course materials are not included in the course fee. In the confirmation letter (after the deadline) which you will receive if the course goes ahead, we will inform you
about the details.
- Our groups are small: the minimum number of participants is 8, the maximum is 10. Please note that the LTC reserves the right to cancel this course if the required minimum
number of participants is not reached.
- Attendance is not compulsory, but advisable.
- When passing this course, a certificate will be handed out.
- Read our requirements and general terms and conditions carefully before registering.
- Course type
- Course dates
The schedule for the Academic Writing PhD course is not yet available.
- Campus Woudestein, Rotterdam
Rate 1: Students: € 375,-
Which rate is applicable to you? Read on.
- Not applicable
- Start date
- Start date to be announced
- 6 weeks
- Offered by
- Erasmus University Rotterdam | Language & Training Centre
- Language and Culture | English
- Instruction language
- Mode of instruction
At this point it is not possible to register for the Academic Writing PhD course. If you have any questions, please contact the Language & Training Centre.