- Course dates
Dates: Fridays (8 October - 3 December 2021)
Individual session: will be scheduled in the last 3 weeks of the course (so between Nov 15th and Dec 3rd)
Time: 10.00-12.00 hours
Rate 1: Students: € 439,-
Which rate is applicable to you? Read on.
- Application deadline
Wednesday 29 September 2021
Are you a PhD student at Erasmus University Rotterdam? Are you in the process of writing a PhD thesis or academic article and do you need help navigating the ins and outs of good academic writing? If you answered yes to one of these questions, this course is for you.
What will you learn?
During this nine-week course, you will become familiar with all the skills needed to write and edit an academic paper for publication. Each week, a specific topic is presented, and participants share knowledge and learn new skills through interactive discussion. The course also allows for a deeper analysis of academic writing through the writing, reviewing and editing of six different assignments. In addition, each week participants will read, and peer review the work of one or more students.
The classes will be online and consist of a mix of live interaction and individual work. Aside from the class, participants are expected to spend approximately two to three hours a week on preparation and self-study. These courses consist of nine group sessions of two hours each and one individual session at the end of the course. The components of this course include:
- The writing process for each section of a paper
- Formulating arguments and presenting data
- Clear organisation and coherence throughout the text
- Writing clear and concise paragraphs
- Structure and discourse
- Writing correct English at sentence level (including grammar, style and vocabulary)
- The use of sources (summarizing, paraphrasing, quoting, and referencing)
Good to know
- This course is only open to PhD students who are in the process of writing a PhD thesis or academic article. Participants must be able to produce examples of their own written
work, as this will be a part of the material used in the course.
- The course materials are not included in the course fee. In the confirmation letter (after the deadline), which you will receive if the course goes ahead, we will inform you
of the details.
- Our groups are small: the minimum number of participants is 8, the maximum is 10. Please note that the LTC reserves the right to cancel this course if the required minimum
number of participants is not reached.
- All participants are expected to follow each week’s online class. In addition, all assignments must be completed by the deadlines.
- Only participants who attend at least 7 sessions and complete all of the assignments will receive an attendance certificate.
- Read our requirements and general terms and conditions carefully before registering.