In this course you will learn the basics of the Dutch language, on speaking and listening skills in an everyday context and the use of popular and commonly used phrases.
Key Facts & Figures
- 20 weeks
- Instruction language
The Dutch for beginners A1 + A2.1 course is a double level course: two course levels will have been covered by the end of this course. A great advantage is that you can automatically flow from beginners A1 to beginners A2.1 without having to take an exam in between the two levels. This course consists of twenty weekly sessions of 2,5 hours each. The final exam takes place after the course on a predetermined date.
What will you learn?
During this course you will learn the basics of the Dutch language, with emphasis on listening skills and oral communication skills in an everyday context. Topics that are covered include:
- Introducing yourself and talking about your preferences
- Ordering food, shopping
- Reading time and calendar, and making an appointment
- Giving directions, explaining what you have done
Technically you will learn:
- Vocabulary and idiomatic expressions
- Oral communication skills as well as reading and writing in Dutch;
- Dutch culture and interpersonal skills
During the lessons you are requested to actively participate in conversation and oral tasks. You will also learn how to write short texts.
In order to fully benefit from the lessons, you are asked to learn vocabulary in advance and do homework every week. Please be aware that these are not passive lessons during which you simply listen to lectures, read texts and translate sentences.
By the end of the course, you will be able to communicate in common and everyday situations.
Good to know
- The Language & Training Centre offers the Dutch batch courses once a year in January/February-June.
- This course is available for participants with an academic background (hbo/university).
- English is the language of support during classes. However, the language of instruction is Dutch and will be commonly used;
- The course material is not included in the course fee. You will receive a confirmation letter with further details when the course starts;
- Course participants are expected to spend approximately three hours a week on course preparation and self-study;
- Our groups are small: the minimum number of participants is 10, the maximum is 16. Please note that the LTC reserves the right to cancel this course if the required minimum number of participants is not reached. Whenever a course is canceled due to few registrations you will be informed and your fee will be refunded.
- Attendance is not compulsory, but advisable. Please note that the last class consists of an oral test and a listening test. To pass the course, you should be present on that particular day.
- A final written exam is part of this course. Dyslectic students can get extra time to complete the written test. To arrange this, you need to contact the LTC via email. You will also have to send a copy of your official statement of special needs.
- A certificate is awarded to participants who achieve a total score of 5.5 or higher.
- Read our requirements and general terms and conditions carefully before registering.
Facts & Figures
Rate 1: Students & employees: € 450,-
Rate 2: Others: € 650,-
Special rate: € 300,-
Which rate is applicable to you? Read on.
- Not applicable
- Application deadline
- 20 weeks
- Offered by
- Language & Training Centre
- Language and Culture
- Course type
- Instruction language
Registration is closed.