Visiting students - exchange programme

Studenten lopen door de hal van het Sanders gebouw

Are you coming to Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR)? There are a few things to take care of and think about before and upon arrival in the Netherlands.


  • Make a financial plan
    • Ensure you have sufficient funds to support yourself
    • Apply for grants and/or scholarships
    • Ensure you have enough cash (in euros) to cover your expenses for the first couple of days in the Netherlands
  • After acceptance to the exchange programme/courses, you'll be requested to upload a picture for your student ID
  • After receiving your university login keys (ERNA details), log on to the university systems by using the direct link mentioned in the email about this matter
  • Make sure your passport is valid for the time that you'll be staying in the Netherlands and check with the authorities in your home country how many months your passport still needs to be valid for when you return there
  • Prepare the necessary documents for your visa and/or residence permit (if applicable), and if you need a visa, obtain it before you travel
  • Arrange your healthcare (and other) insurance
  • Decide how and when to get to Rotterdam
  • Arrange accommodation in Rotterdam, at least for your first few nights


  • Register for the Orientation programmes (for example: Airport service, language courses, Ikea service and registration at the City Hall).
  • Join a student association, such as ESN-Rotterdam


  • Check your timetable; know where you have to go your first classes, and make sure your classes do not overlap
  • Register at City Hall (if you will be living in the Netherlands for more than 4 months)
  • Be properly insured (you are by law obliged to be insured in the Netherlands)
  • Register yourself at a general practitioner and dentist
  • Get your Student ID card (you will receive this from the exchange coordinator)
  • Pick up your residence permit (if applicable, you will receive an email once it is ready)
  • Take a tuberculosis check (if applicable)


Before leaving the Netherlands, remember that there are some arrangements you need to make. The following list is a helpful guide as to what should be done before you leave Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR).

Things to do before leaving Rotterdam

  1. Arrange for your transcript to be forwarded to your new address 
  2. Read more about: Transcripts (non-degree students).
  3. Legalise your transcript, if applicable. 
    Read more at the DUO website.
  4. Notify your programme coordinator of your leaving date and of your new correspondence address and email address after you have left Rotterdam.
  5. Cancel your accommodation and pay the final month’s rent.
  6. Return your keys to get the deposit back for your housing.
  7. De-register at City Hall. You can do so at
  8. Cancel your Dutch health insurance. Be sure to file your insurance claims before leaving.
  9. Return all your library books, cd's, dvd's, magazines etc. from the EUR and/or public library.
  10. Close your bank account. Bank charges will be continued, if you do not close your account. When moving to another city in the Netherlands, inform the bank of your new address.
  11. Settle/cancel any outstanding contracts or subscriptions (i.e. mobile phone.) otherwise they may be renewed automatically. Please check the conditions of your contract, because in some instances you are required to cancel 3 months before the contract is due to end.
  12. Forward important emails and/or export contacts from your ERNA account, as your ERNA account will be discontinued two months after your unenrolment date.
  13. When you have furniture, books or a bike that you would like to leave behind in the Netherlands, you could try to sell them, for instance at the ESN-Rotterdam Marketplace group on Facebook
  14. Non-EU/EEA students who would like to stay in the Netherlands, need to change their residence permit. When you decide to continue your studies at another Dutch institution, you must ask the new institution to register you at the Dutch Immigration Department (IND) as we will automatically deregister you. Please see the Nuffic website for more information > international students > alumni > continuing your studies.
    When you would like to work in the Netherlands, students who obtained a degree in the Netherlands have the option to apply for a so called ‘orientation year permit’.
    Read more at the Nuffic website > international students > alumni > working after your studies.
  15. Alumni of Erasmus University Rotterdam will automatically be registered in the Erasmus University Rotterdam alumni database, unless you let us know otherwise.
    Read more about: EUR Alumni website

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes