Minor at Leiden University or TU Delft
A minor offers an excellent opportunity to broaden your horizon. By taking your minor in Leiden or Delft, you get to experience another way of thinking, to work with other students and to know another city. It will enrich your academic experience and your resume. Check out the testimonials from students who took their minor in Leiden or Delft at the bottom of the page.
You can take one of the joint LDE-minors or you can join one of the regular minors offered by Leiden or Delft. Check the minor admissions matrix to check which minors are open to your bachelor program.
Joint Leiden-Delft-Rotterdam minors
Leiden University, TU Delft and Erasmus University Rotterdam offer joint minors. Lectures are organized by at least two of the three partners. Joint minors come in two varieties: 15 EC en 30 EC. EUR students can apply for an LDE-minor by registering the minor as one of their preferences in Osiris during the application period. Placement is arranged through the lottery at the end of June.
In 2018-2019, three joint minors are offered:
- Frugal Innovation (LDE-minor)
- Responsible Innovation (LDE-minor)
- Georesources for the Future (LD-minor)
Regular minor at Leiden University or TU Delft
TU Delft and Leiden University have made 33% of the places in their minors available to EUR students. To get an idea of the minors offered, check the minor websites of Leiden University and TU Delft. Interested? Register your application in Leiden or Delft from 1 May up to 31 May. Visit the minor site of the partner to learn more about their application procedure.
PLEASE NOTE: application and placement for regular minors in Leiden and Delft is carried out according to the following principles:
- You can only register one minor preference per partner university.
- Your minor preference in Delft or Leiden is considered your primary application
- In addition, you can register a maximum of 5 EUR minor preferences in Osiris Student.
- Your EUR-preferences will be deleted if you are placed on a minor in Leiden or Delft (with the exception of EUR selection minors).
- You'll be informed of the outcome per email at the end of June.
- You can only be placed in one minor at Leiden University, TU Delft or Erasmus University.
- You do not need to request permission from your Exam Board for taking a minor in Leiden or Delft, with the exception of ESL-students.
- You can only apply for minors open to your Bachelor program (check the admission matrix).
Differences minor education TU Delft and Leiden University
Minors at Leiden University are 30 EC. It is possible to complete most minors for 15 EC, as a so-called half minor. Most half minors consist of a set package of courses. Check out minor formats carefully for minor specific information. Please take into account that the minor period in Leiden does not necessarily overlap with the minor period at EUR. In Leiden, minor courses are either scheduled up to early (so-called blokminors) or can be scheduled throughout the academic year (so-called lintminors). If information about scheduling is not clearly included in the format, it is best to send a mail to the minor contact person to inquire about the type of schedule.
Minors at TU Delft are almost always 30 EC. At TU Delft, 30 EC minors cannot be completed for 15 ECTS, with the exception of a few minors. If a minor can be completed for 15 EC, this is clearly indicated in the minor format. Please take into account that in Delft, the minor period continues well into January or early February.
The minor scope at Erasmus University Rotterdam is generally 15 EC. If you earn 15 EC extra, these EC will come on top of the 180 EC of your study program (extra curricular). To incorporate extra EC into your study program, you will need to have permission from your Exam Board.