Extension residence permit
Are you aware that residence permits for the purpose of study are issued for a specific period of time? The expiry date is on the front, in Dutch: ‘geldig tot’.
If you are continuing to study in the Netherlands after the expiry date of your student residence permit, then you need to extend your residence permit. Applications for residence permit extensions can only be submitted to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) through Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR).
It is your own responsibility to start the application process in time. Failing to do so might have severe consequences for your ability to stay in the Netherlands! You are strongly advised to start the application process three months before your current permit expires Make sure your registration at EUR is fully completed before you start your application.
The deadline for submitting your application for an extension is two months before your residence permit expires.
- Pay the extension fee before starting the extension procedure. Be sure to keep your proof of payment or a print screen of your online bank transfer - you need to upload it when submitting your application.
- Upload all the required documents for an extension in Osiris Student. In Osiris Student, go to ‘My Cases’ and click on ‘Changes to permit’. Then select ‘Extension residence permit’.
- The International Office EUR checks all information and documentation. If additional information is required, we will contact you.
- If the information and documents are correct, EUR will forward your application to the IND on your behalf. Keep in mind that EUR cannot speed up the process at the IND, and cannot be held responsible for any residence gaps that may occur if you fail to submit your application in time. You will receive a confirmation by email when the application has been forwarded to the IND. The IND generally takes two to three months to process applications.
- Once the IND informs us that your application has been approved, you will receive another notification by email. The IND will then proceed to issue your new residence permit card.
- When your new residence permit card is ready to be picked up at the IND front office, we will send you another notification. Please note that this can take two to four weeks after your application has been approved by the IND.
If you come across any problems or have any questions, you can always email firstname.lastname@example.org.