Checklist: leaving EUR to go home

Before leaving the Netherlands, remember that there are some arrangements you need to make. The following list is a helpful guide as to what should be done before you leave Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR).

Things to do before leaving Rotterdam

  1. For full degree students: deregister from the university at the Erasmus Student Service Centre.
    Read more about:
    Registration & unenrolment
  2. Set a date for your graduation or arrange for your transcript to be forwarded to your new address
    Read more about:
    Graduation ceremony.
    Transcripts (non-degree students).
  3. Legalise your diploma or transcript, if applicable. 
    Read more at the DUO website.
  4. Notify your programme coordinator of your leaving date and of your new correspondence address and email address after you have left Rotterdam.
  5. Cancel your accommodation and pay the final month’s rent.
  6. Return your keys to get the deposit back for your housing.
  7. De-register at City Hall. You can do so at
  8. Cancel your Dutch health insurance. Be sure to file your insurance claims before leaving.
  9. Return all your library books, cd's, dvd's, magazines etc. from the EUR and/or public library.
  10. Close your bank account. Bank charges will be continued, if you do not close your account. When moving to another city in the Netherlands, inform the bank of your new address.
  11. Settle/cancel any outstanding contracts or subscriptions (i.e. mobile phone.) otherwise they may be renewed automatically. Please check the conditions of your contract, because in some instances you are required to cancel 3 months before the contract is due to end.
  12. Forward important emails and/or export contacts from your ERNA account, as your ERNA account will be discontinued two months after your unenrolment date.
  13. When you have furniture, books or a bike that you would like to leave behind in the Netherlands, you could try to sell them, for instance at the ESN-Rotterdam Marketplace group on Facebook
  14. Non-EU/EEA students who would like to stay in the Netherlands, need to change their residence permit. When you decide to continue your studies at another Dutch institution, you must ask the new institution to register you at the Dutch Immigration Department (IND) as we will automatically deregister you. Please see the Nuffic website for more information > international students > alumni > continuing your studies.
    When you would like to work in the Netherlands, students who obtained a degree in the Netherlands have the option to apply for a so called ‘orientation year permit’.
    Read more at the Nuffic website > international students > alumni > working after your studies.
  15. Alumni of Erasmus University Rotterdam will automatically be registered in the Erasmus University Rotterdam alumni database, unless you let us know otherwise.
    Read more about: EUR Alumni website

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes