Refugees at Erasmus University Rotterdam

Do you have a refugee status and would you like to study at a university? We are here to support you in registering for a preparatory year in higher education, a bachelor's degree or a master's degree. You can obtain more information about the Dutch education system from Nuffic.

Dutch language course

For admission to higher education, you usually need to have completed State exam II (NT2-II). If you wish to learn the Dutch language quickly and efficiently, you can follow a course at the Language & Training Centre. For further information about NT2-II and how you can prepare for this, please visit their website

Foundation for Refugee Students UAF

If you are planning to follow a higher education study and you are following a Dutch language course at level CEFR-B1 or higher, you can register at the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF. As well as supporting refugees during the preparation for a study, selecting the study and during the study itself, UAF also offers financial support for a higher education preparatory year. It can take several months before your application is processed.

Applying for a bachelor's or master's degree

Each study programme has specific application requirements, including prior education requirements. The general condition for admission to a bachelor programme is that you have a Dutch university preparatory education diploma or an equivalent foreign diploma. You also need to have sufficient command of the Dutch and/or English language to be able to follow the lectures. If you do not have the required prior education, you may be admitted via an entrance examination Colloquium Doctum. Admission to a master programme is processed by the faculty of the master's degree of your choice.

School system in the Netherlands

School system in the Netherlands

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes