Bringing in electives

For former exchange students of the ESE

Fields marked with an * are required

(1) You should convert the original obtained credits to rounded-off ECTS credits, in case your host
     uses a different system. Read the explanation below for more information.


1. Who can use this form?

This form is to be used by ESE students who have participated in the ESE exchange programme or studied abroad on their own initiative. Students can use this form for bringing in exchange/foreign courses into their elective space. After completing the form and enclosing the required documents, your request will be submitted to the Examination Board.

2. When can I submit this form?

You can submit this form and the required attachments, after handing in your student report at the Exchange Coordinator and when you have received an academic transcript from your host university. The Examination Board will not process your request without an enclosed academic transcript and conversion of credits when needed.

3. How can I convert credits to ECTS-credits?

You can convert foreign credits into ECTS credits in three different ways as explained at 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3. Round off the number of credits, as the ESE only works with whole ECTS credits. Do not forget to include proof of the work load of your host university to your form!

      3.1. Work load per year

Your starting point is the number of credits that students are normally required to obtain at your host university within one academic year. For example: you successfully completed a course at university A, which had an extent of 4 credits. A student is supposed to obtain 40 credits per academic year at university A. The Erasmus University has a work load of 60 credits per academic year. Convertibly, a course of university A has an extent of 60/40 x 4= 6 ECTS-credits. 

      3.2 Work load per credit

Your starting point is the student work load at the foreign university. A credit of a course from university B is equal to 20 hours of studying. A credit of the Erasmus University is equal to 28 hours of studying. If you took a 6 credit course at university B, than this would convertibly be 6x20 /28 = 4 ECTS-credits.

      3.3. Student workload standards

You can use the student workload standards of Erasmus University and thereby convert the number of credits into ECTS-credits. You can find the student workload standards at the student information website.

4. What will happen after I have submitted this form?

The Examination Board will process your request in the case all the information you provided is correct. You will receive the outcome by writing within six weeks. After this, the Dep. for Exam Administration will register the courses as electives in OSIRIS.

5. How will my exchange courses be registered in OSIRIS

Please note that, instead of a grade, a student will obtain a PASS on the grade list for 'International Exchange' with the amount of ECTS credits that need to be incorporated.

Please note: International Exchange will be placed on your grade list up to 24 ECTS