Another bank where you could open a Dutch account is the Rabobank. Rabobank charges no fees for using the account or the bank card, but the website and internet banking are only available in Dutch. For opening a bank account, a BSN-number is required. The account is activated immediately, and after 5 working days you will receive your bank card and PIN code in the mail.
Open a Rabobank account
To open a bank account, you must have an appointment to do so and make sure you bring the following documents:
- Valid passport or other form of identification
- Proof of enrollment at the EUR
- If already available: proof of registration at the municipality (BSN-number)
Find more information about the locations of the Rabobank (only in Dutch).
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no huge difference between the 3 mentioned banks. Overall you notice that the costs per month differ from one another. Nevertheless, the costs are pretty much the same.
- ABN AMRO provides all communication in English, in contrary to the other banks.
- On the other hand, ING Bank is able to provide you with a temporary card way faster.
As you can see: each bank has its own pros and cons. So what the choose then? Pick a bank either close to your accommodation (so it's easier to visit the bank during office hours) or choose a bank where registration is made quite easy, like registering on campus during the One Stop Shop.