Study Progress Monitoring

New Dutch Migration Policy

A new Dutch Migration Policy has come into effect on 1 June 2013. The new policy has consequences for all current and new international non-EU/EEA students residing in the Netherlands with a residence permit for study purposes, with the exception of exchange students who stay in the Netherlands for only a short period of time (a year or less).


  • Residence permits are issued for the official duration of the study programme plus three months. For example, if you start a three-year bachelor programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) on 1 September 2016, you will receive a residence permit until 1 December 2019.
  • If you do not finish your studies within the stipulated duration of your programme plus three months, it is possible to apply for an extension of your residence permit.
  • It is not possible to apply for an extension of your Dutch residence permit yourself. The application must be submitted to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) by EUR.
  • You receive a Dutch residence permit for the purpose of studying in the Netherlands. This means that you can change your programme, or switch to another educational institution, without having to apply for a new permit.
  • EUR is obliged to monitor your study progress. Your study progress may influence your eligibility for a student residence permit.

Study Progress Monitoring

One of the major consequences of the change in the Dutch migration policy, is the study progress monitoring. This means that EUR must monitor your study results and report to the IND in case you obtain less than 50% of the required ECTS during the academic year (1 September – 31 August), and no valid exceptional personal circumstances have been reported. The IND will then proceed with revoking your residence permit. Although in that situation it is not possible to continue your study programme or to start another study programme at EUR, you are allowed to switch to a study programme at another educational institution in the Netherlands (provided you are unconditionally admitted to that programme).

50% Requirement

The new migration policy requires that you obtain at least 50% of the required number of ECTS every academic year. In the table below, you can find some examples.


A bachelor programme of 60 ECTS per year (with a duration of three years)


You need to obtain at least 30 ECTS per year to fulfill the requirements of  the new migration policy.

Please note that you need to obtain all 60 ECTS to fulfill the requirements of the Binding Study Advice (BSA) at EUR!

A pre-master programme of 60 ECTS

You need to have obtained at least 30 ECTS by 1 September

A one-year master programme of 60 ECTSYou need to have obtained at least 30 ECTS by 1 September.
A research master programme of 60 ECTS per year (with a duration of two years)You need to have obtained at least 30 ECTS by 1 September.

ECTS obtained in (extra) electives are included in the calculations. If you are enrolled in two study programmes, the credits obtained for both programmes may be combined to meet the 50% requirement. 

Personal circumstances

Withdrawal of your residence permit due to insufficient study results may be avoided in case the lack of study progress is a direct result of exceptional personal circumstances (e.g. illness). It is therefore essential to inform your study advisor or a student counsellor immediately if you encounter problems that you expect may influence your study progress. The study advisor or student counsellor will then advise you on how to prevent further study delays. We would like to stress that all conversations with study advisors or student counsellors are confidential. 

Contact information study advisors
Contact information student counsellors 

Binding Study Advice (first-year bachelor students only)

EUR uses a binding study advice (BSA) system for all bachelor programmes. The system is the same for all programmes, with the exception of Medicine, which operates with different BSA conditions. If you are a full-time student, you must obtain all 60 ECTS in the first year of enrolment. You will receive a negative BSA if you do not meet these standards. Exceptions may be made in case of exceptional personal circumstances. If you receive a negative BSA, you will not be permitted to enroll in the same programme for a period of three years. Please note that the BSA requirement gets priority over the 50% requirement related to the new migration policy!

*Students in their first year of the bachelor programme in Medicine need to obtain 40 ECTS and complete the first year at the end of their second year of enrollment.

Letter of intended deregistration

During the academic year, we advise you to keep track of your study results registered in Osiris. Make sure to contact the ESSC immediately if not all of your credits are (accurately) registered in Osiris. This includes ECTS that you may have obtained for courses you completed abroad! In autumn, students who did not meet the 50% requirement in the past academic year will receive an official letter informing them about the university's intention to deregister them at the IND due to insufficient study progress. This letter will explain the consequences and provide information on the possibilities for submitting an appeal if you feel the details provided in the letter are incorrect. 

More information and contact

If you have any questions concerning the new regulations, please contact the International Office EUR.

Do you need help?

Drop us an email!

Visitors and their visa / permits

What's needed?

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Due to Dutch migration policy, all non-EU/EEA students residing in the Netherlands with a residence permit for study purposes (with the exception of exchange students who stay in the Netherlands for a only a year or less), have to obtain at least 50% of the required number of ECTS every academic year. In case the 50% hasn’t been met, your permit might be revoked.