Group I

Entry visa

You do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands, neither for a short, nor for a long stay. All you need is a valid passport. You may travel through all Schengen countries freely.

Formalities on arrival

As EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, not many obligations apply to you.
If you are staying for just a short period (up to three months), you don’t need to register at the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) or the municipality (Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie, GBA). The only thing you need is a valid passport or valid national identity card.

If you are staying for more than four months, registration as an inhabitant of the municipality where you are staying is required. In this case, you may also apply for registration with the IND and an EU/EEA residence sticker. This is not compulsory, but it is highly advisable, as it will make a number of things easier.

Registering as inhabitant (GBA-inschrijving)

If you are staying for more than four months in the Netherlands you will need to have yourself registered as new inhabitant of the town where you are living. For this registration you have to go to the local town hall. The civil servant who registers you as inhabitant will ask to see the following documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Evidence that you have a suitable place to live (your contract as tenant, for example)
  • Certified true copy of a birth certificate indicating your name, date of birth and place of birth. For most countries, this should be legalized

Health insurance

You must be insured against the cost of medical treatment. This is a requirement under Dutch law.