- Only the full, personal and endowed Professors of Erasmus School of Economics, who are members of one of the respective Graduate Schools (ERIM and / or Tinbergen Institute) and who have been selected by their department director, are authorized to recruit and supervise a PhD student.
- To start the recruitment process the promotor (the primary supervisor) submits a written project proposal by e-mail to the Secretary of the Research Advisory Committee (in Dutch: Vaste Commissie voor de Wetenschapsbeoefening) (form available from the secretary of the Research Advisory Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To apply for a position in the programme the promotor (the primary supervisor) must submit a 'PhD programme application form' by e-mail to the Secretary of the Research Advisory Committee (in Dutch: Vaste Commissie voor de Wetenschapsbeoefening) (form available on request from the Secretary of the Research Advisory Committee, email@example.com).
- The end of October the Research Advisory Committee convenes to review all submitted projects. Approved projects can optionally be included in a recruitment drive to recruit more widely and allow supervisors to search for qualified candidates outside their own network. Projects included in the recruitment drive will be advertised on the Erasmus School of Economics PhD vacancies webpage.
- Interested candidates can fill out an online application form to apply for the project. All necessary documentation will be collected using the online form. When multiple candidates have applied for a project, the administrative office of the graduate school involved will contact the supervisor(s) to help select a suitable candidate.
- For approved projects not included in the recruitment drive, the supervisor is expected to search for his/her own candidate and provide the secretary of the committee in due time with the name and contact details of his / her chosen candidate. The secretary will then contact the candidate to ask him / her to fill out the online application form. All necessary documentation will be collected using the online form.
- Please note that every PhD project must be affiliated to one of Erasmus School of Economics' graduate schools. Each graduate school requires its prospective students to pass certain admission requirements before being considered for acceptance by the graduate school. More information about these requirements can be found on the website of each graduate school (ERIM / Tinbergen Institute). Supervisors are advised to keep these requirements in mind when selecting potential PhD candidates.
- When all application files are complete, the Research Advisory Committee meets to advise the school's management on the proposed candidates.
- The Dean will decide shortly after the meeting of the committee whether or not the candidate will be offered a position at Erasmus School of Economics.
- The graduate school will contact the accepted PhD candidate after being informed of the Dean's decision for details concerning the appointment of the PhD candidate.
- All PhD projects at Erasmus School of Economics are subject to the Erasmus University Doctoral Regulations, projects therefore require an approved Education and Supervision Plan and must be supervised by at least two supervisors.
Note that a PhD candidate must start within six months after receiving the offer for a PhD position. Unless the supervisor can state specific circumstances the offer is no longer valid after six months have passed.