Working as a teaching assistant

Being a teaching assistant gives you a great opportunity to earn money while studying, and at the same time develop valuable skills that are relevant for your profession. You’ll gain relevant experience leading tutorials and you’ll be in close contact with lecturers. This experience can also be helpful in deciding if a job in teaching, for example at a university, is something suitable for you.

What does a teaching assistant do?

At Erasmus School of Economics, approximately 200 teaching assistants are supervising Bachelor  tutorials. Their responsibilities include activating, motivating and guiding students in completing assignments, explaining subject matter covered in lectures, administrative tasks, providing support and carrying out tasks related to the examination process. The exact responsibilities and duties will vary depending on the course.  You will get more information from the course coordinator or the Tutor Academy teacher.

Salary and employment conditions

The employment conditions for teaching assistants are described in the “Regeling Student Assistenten”(in Dutch).

The salary you will receive as a teaching assistant, as well as the number of hours you are allowed to work, is determined by your progress within the study programme. The closer you are to completing your study, the more you can earn and the more hours you are allowed to work. The minimum appointment is 0.1 FTE that is 4 hours in a week.

In the table below you can see the facts which are valid in 2016. Please check here for the current salary and other employment conditions (in Dutch).

You will be appointed for the period of the course or courses in which you will be a teaching assistant. Supplementary terms and conditions apply if you are a teaching assistant from outside the EEA or from Switzerland. For more details see the checklist on the Internationalisation website.

Related to your job as teaching assistant, I wish to bring the following agreements to your attention. The same rules that apply to all EUR employees also apply to you, for instance the CAO NU.

 Monthly pay  
Scale employment
(0,1 FTE 1/2 per week)
level 2
(second year)
level 3
(third year)
level 4
(fourth year)
0,1 FTE€ 193,10€206,70€225,10
0,2 FTE€386,20€413,40€450,20
0,3 FTE€579,30€620,10€675,30
0,4 FTEx€826,80€900,40
0,5 FTExx€1125,50

Golden rules

As a teaching assistant:

  • I keep all information confidential, that is designated as confidential or of a nature which I can reasonably be expected to understand its confidentiality;
  • I am aware that all course materials made available to me in my capacity as a teaching assistant, are owned by Erasmus School of Economics and I will respect its’ intellectual property rights;
  • I am only allowed to use the information, knowledge and course materials made available to me in my capacity as a teaching assistant for my activities for the Tutor Academy;
  • I will not disseminate, publish, sell or otherwise exploit such information;
  • I am aware that activities such as coaching, providing additional lessons or making summaries, can lead to conflicts of interest;
  • therefore, I will not perform any work that has the effect of causing (apparent) conflicts of interest during the academic year that I am employed as a teaching assistant at the Tutor Academy;
  • I will not abuse my position at the Tutor Academy;
  • I will contact the director of the Tutor Academy if I have any related questions or concerns.

Info for international students

  • International students (=NON-Dutch) who start working in the Netherlands are required to have a Dutch health insurance.
  • Extra for NON-EU mentors/TA’s
    If you are NOT a national from another EU country or from Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you need to have a work permit.
    In order for us to apply for your work permit we need several documents. The procedure for this is long, so we inform you already about the most important things.
    When you will be selected as a mentor/TA you will receive an email with a request to hand in several documents. One of those will be a ‘proof of enrollment 2017-2018’.
    Please subscribe and pay through STUDYLINK asap.
    In order to get a ‘proof of enrollment’ you have to have, amongst other things: a positive BSA (only first year students) and a proof of payment. We strongly advise you to use the digital payment authorization through STUDYLINK. Any other method of payment will take too long to process and thus you will not be able to hand in the documents in time for us to.
    As soon as you made this digital authorization you will receive an email, which you HAVE TO confirm this right away.
    You have to do this on June 12 in order to get your proof of enrollment in time.
  • We can only apply for a work permit for the period your residence-permit is valid.

If that expires earlier than you would need a work permit for, please start the renewal procedure for the residence-permit way ahead of time. After you receive a new residence-permit it takes another 6 weeks, for us, to get you a new work permit.

Interested in a job as a teaching assistant? View the latest vacancies and read more about the selection procedure here.