Current facets (Pre-Master)
If your CV and cover letter are on point, it is likely you will get job interview requests. This is the time to seal the deal! These interview tips help you succeed in your job interviews.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare! It is important you read through the organisation’s website and vacancy carefully in order to understand what you are applying for. Besides that, make sure you quiz yourself in advance with practice interview questions
- Arrive on time. This does not mean 30 minutes in advance, but strive to be 10 minutes early. This allows you for observing the workplace a bit, getting settled and taking a final moment to mentally prepare for the interview
- Make a good first impression. This means being polite to everyone from the receptionist to the hiring manager. A firm handshake also is important.
- It is no problem if you take some time to think about a question during the interview. Stay calm as much as possible. It is better to think about a question for a moment, than starting out with multiple ‘uhs’ and ‘uhms’
- An interview is about selling yourself to a potential employer. Highlight your good points and provide examples of situations in which these good points were useful. Convey that you are determined to get the job
- Ask questions. An interview is not a one-way questionnaire conducted by the hiring manager. Always prepare some questions for the interviewer to demonstrate your curiosity or interest in the position and organisation
- And most of all: do not get encouraged when you do not get a job offer immediately after your first interview. Job applications and interviews are processes that you get better in over time. Every interview experience will help you in your next job interview