Admission requirements for Master Place, Culture and Tourism
The Master’s programme Place, Culture and Tourism in Rotterdam will be ideal for:
- students who want to become creative and critical professionals in the field of tourism;
- students who want to study tourism as part of the bigger picture and wish to understand the relations between tourism and international economies, societies, media and cultures;
- students who want to pursue an academic career in the field of cultural studies, media studies and/or tourism studies.
Essential qualifications for direct admission to the Master PCT are:
- At least a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Dutch university programme with a good overall result, or an equivalent qualification from an international institution.
(Students may already apply before they have obtained their degree if they expect to graduate before starting with this Master).
- Training in arts and culture studies, sociology or another relevant background in the social sciences or humanities, at university level.
- Academic training in qualitative research methods is desirable.
- We are also looking for a sustained and well-documented interest in the cultural or tourism sector, as evidenced by academic training or practical experience.
- You do not need to provide further evidence of English proficiency if:
- you have a Dutch ‘vwo’ grade of 7 or higher in English (final exam vwo-6);
- you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma including English Standard Level (A) or English Higher Level (A or B);
- you hold a European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- you obtained at least 2,5 years of secondary education in Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, South-Africa, The USA, the UK or Ireland
- For graduates of recognised academic programmes taught entirely in English, the obligation to take a language test may be dropped after considering their academic performance.
- If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you need to demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following:
- IELTS Academic (International English language Testing System) with a minimum score of 7.0 overall.
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 100.
- ITP-TOEFL (Institutional Testing Programme) offered by the Language & Training Centre at the EUR, or any other Dutch University. Minimum requirement: 627.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 185.
- English tests must not be older than two years at the time of application. If you have not yet taken a test, we recommend IELTS or TOEFL.
The results need to reach us before 10 August. Therefore, take the test well before the summer holidays. Allow some time to re-take the test, if necessary!
You will also be admitted to the programme if you have successfully completed the Pre-master Place, Culture and Tourism. (Please consult this page to learn more about the application process if you have already completed the Pre-Master.)
Pre-Master Place, Culture and Tourism
For promising candidates who do not meet all entry requirements for direct admission to the PCT Master, we run a one-year PCT Pre-master programme. This preparatory programme caters in particular for students who have little university-level experience with the social sciences and research methods.