Registering at City Hall

All international students who will stay in Rotterdam for a period longer than 4 months are obliged to register themselves at the City Hall in Rotterdam. In order to register yourself, you need to make an appointment in advance. You can schedule an appointment for registration through the website

After you have submitted your completed registration form and all required documents to the City Hall, you will receive a letter from the City Hall with your citizen service number (BSN-number) within two weeks. This letter will be sent to your Dutch address by postal mail.

Non-EU/EEA students must make sure to pick up their Dutch residence permit at the IND desk at the city hall, prior to registering at the city hall. It is only possible to collect your residence permit after you received a message from EUR Immigration Desk that your permit is ready. We advise you to wait with scheduling an appointment for registration at the City Hall until you receive this message.

Required documents

In order to get registered, you will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • A fully completed registration form (to be downloaded from, under "Required documents')

  • Valid passport or valid identity card

  • A rental contract and a tenancy agreement (download tenancy agreement here) or declaration by the main occupant (=‘verklaring van inwoning’ - download declaration here) or a 'housing permit' for those who do not live in accommodation provided by Stadswonen.

  • Your Dutch residence permit (non-EU/EEA students only)

  • Original birth certificate (authenticated or with apostille) - can be delivered at a later date. This must not be a copy and must not be older than six months. The certificate must be in Dutch, English, French or German. If not, you will also need to provide an official translation. It is easier to arrange this before your arrival in the Netherlands. In addition, legislation stamps may be required from the government of the country, which issues the birth certificate to confirm that the document is genuine. In order to confirm what legislation you are required to have, you must contact the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country (see the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for details of your local Embassy or Consulate). This should be done as soon as possible because the legislation process can sometimes take a number of months.


  • Pay attention to the fact that if your room is a sublet, there is a chance you may not use the address to register at City Hall.
  • If you change your address, you have to inform the City Hall and update your address in Studielink.
  • If you will be living somewhere other than Rotterdam, you should contact your local City Hall for information about arranging your registration.