Change of purpose

If you are registered as a full-time student at Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) and you are living in the Netherlands based on a valid Dutch residence permit for another purpose than study (e.g. for employment, or staying with your partner or family) and you wish to change your permit into a student residence permit, you can apply for either a Change of Purpose (for holders of a Dutch residence permit issued by IND), or a first student residence permit (for holders of a Dutch residence permit issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) through the International Office EUR.

Own responsibility

Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) will forward the application to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation (IND) on your behalf, but making the necessary arrangements for the extension or change of your residence permit well in time is fully your own responsibility. Failing to do so might have severe consequences for your stay in the Netherlands.

There is no fixed deadline for this procedure, but since the procedure at IND might take around two to three months, you are strongly advised to start the application process, by submitting the online application form, three months before your current residence permit expires.

The university cannot do anything to speed up the process at IND, and cannot be held responsible for any residence gaps that may occur if you fail to submit your application in time.

Starting up your application for a Change of Purpose or first student residence permit

Make sure your registration at EUR is fully complete before proceeding with your application!
Pay the immigration fees of € 321 at the Erasmus Student Service Centre. Make sure to keep the payment receipt (you need to upload it when submitting your application).
Please send the completed Change of Purpose form to Don't forget to complete the checklist mentioned in the Change of Purpose form.
The International Office EUR checks the information and the documents. If additional information is required, you will be contacted.

If the information and documentation is complete, EUR will submit an application for a Change of Purpose or first student residence permit (depending on your situation) to IND on your behalf. You will receive a confirmation by email when the application has been forwarded to the IND. The IND generally takes two to three months to process applications.

Once the IND informs EUR that your application has been approved, you will receive a notification by email. The IND will proceed with issuing your new residence permit. Since IND needs your biometrical details for issuing your permit, it is possible you will have to visit the IND office for your biometrics first.

When your residence permit is ready to be collected at the IND front office, you will receive another notification. Please note that this can take two to four weeks after your application has been approved.


Please send the completed Change of Purpose form to Don't forget to complete the checklist mentioned in the Change of Purpose form.

Important: in this form there are several documents that you need to fill in and sign. Please ensure to do this with a blue pen, so that we can check that you have submitted the documents in full colour. Only scanned copies in PDF, of good quality and in full colour can be accepted.

Important: double check if you filled in all the required fields and uploaded all the required documents before you submit the application!


If you come across any problems or have any questions, always feel free to email the International Office EUR (

(For International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) students a different procedure is in place. You will be contacted by your faculty regarding changes in your permit.)

Lost your residence permit?

Yep, it’s lost / stolen.

Advice & counselling

Reach out if you need help