Extension residence permit

Residence permits for the purpose of study are issued for a specific period of time: the expiry date is on the front (in Dutch: ‘geldig tot’).
Are you continuing to study in the Netherlands after the expiry date of your student residence permit? Then you need to extend your residence permit.

Applications for residence permit extensions can only be submitted to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation (IND) through EUR.


  • EUR will forward your application to the IND office on your behalf, however:
    • Making the necessary arrangements for the extension of your residence permit well in time is fully your own responsibility – failing to do so might have severe consequences for your ability to stay in the Netherlands!
    • You are strongly advised to start the application process, by submitting the online application form, three months before your current residence permit expires (it generally takes two to three months to receive your extension).
  • EUR cannot speed up the process at the IND, and cannot be held responsible for any residence gaps that may occur if you fail to submit your application in time.

How to apply for an extension?

You must submit your application for an extension to EUR. To apply for an extension of your residence permit, please follow these instructions

(For International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) students a different procedure is in place. You will be contacted by your faculty regarding changes in your permit.)


Lost your residence permit?

Yep, it’s lost / stolen.

Advice & counselling

Reach out if you need help