Call for Papers: Climate Change and Insurance
The 17th Joint Seminar of the International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association) and the European Association of Law and Economics (EALE) will take place at the University of Iceland, Faculty of Environment and Natural Resources, Reykjavík, Iceland on 22–23 June 2017.
The main topic of the seminar will be climate change and insurance. Any papers dealing with the law and economic aspects of climate change and insurance are invited. Papers could inter alia deal with the following issues:
- The challenges brought by climate change for both P&C and life insurers on the liability and asset management sides of their business and why;
- What role can insurance and risk transfer solutions play in building socio-economic resilience to extreme events? How can the insurance sector contribute to the development of adaptive measures to mitigate the impacts of climate?
- How can insurance support the most vulnerable societies against the impacts of climate change?;
- What are the benefits and challenges with open and transparent sharing of risk information and risk pricing associated with climate change impacts engaging the public and private sectors?
- What role the insurance sector could play in supporting society with the transitioning to a low-carbon economy? In this regard, what incentives can the insurance industry provide through the underwriting side of its business? What can the insurance industry contribute to promoting green and low-carbon investments, particularly related to the expansion of its investment portfolio in alternative energy sources? What are the major hurdles facing the industry in these regards?
- What are the key legal issues around different aspects of the insurance business and climate change, and why?
Abstracts should be submitted by 1 February 2017 for review by a scientific board. The acceptance of the proposals will be announced by 1 March 2017.
Full papers are due by 22 May 2017. A selection of the papers from the seminar will be invited for publication in The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance—Issues and Practice.
The seminar is sponsored by The Geneva Association and two Icelandic insurance companies, Tryggingamiðstöðin and Vörður.
It is organised by Lára Jóhannsdóttir, Assistant Professor at the University of Iceland. Proposals should be submitted to Lára Jóhannsdóttir, Environment and Natural Resources, School of Business, University of Iceland, Gimli v/Saemundargotu, 101 Reykjavík. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org