Change of purpose
Are you registered as a full-time EUR student, and living in the Netherlands with a valid Dutch residence permit for another purpose than study (e.g. work permit or partner unification)?
Then you can apply for a Change of Purpose to change your permit into a student residence permit.
- Making the necessary arrangements for the change of your residence permit well in time is fully your own responsibility – failing to do so might have severe consequences for your ability to stay in the Netherlands.
- You are strongly advised to start the application process, by submitting the online application form, three months before your current residence permit expires.
- EUR will forward your application to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation (IND) office on your behalf.
- EUR cannot speed up the process at IND, and cannot be held responsible for any residence gaps that may occur if you fail to submit your application in time.
Step by step
Application process for a Change of Purpose or first student residence permit:
- Make sure your registration at EUR is fully complete before proceeding with your application!
- Pay the immigration fees of € 321 by transferring it to Erasmus University bank account or at the Erasmus Student Service Centre. Be sure to keep your payment receipt - you need to upload it when submitting your application.
- Please send the completed Change of Purpose form to email@example.com. Don't forget to complete the checklist mentioned in the Change of Purpose form.
- You will receive a confirmation by email when the application has been forwarded to the IND. The IND generally takes two to three months to process applications.
- The International Office EUR checks all information and documentation. If additional information is required, we will contact you.
- If the information and documentation is complete, we will submit an application for a Change of Purpose or first student residence permit (depending on your situation) to IND on your behalf.
- Once the IND informs EUR that your application has been approved, you will receive a notification by email. The IND will proceed with issuing your new residence permit.
Since the IND needs your biometrical details (finger print and photo) for issuing your permit, it is possible you will have to visit the IND office for your biometrics first.
- When your residence permit is ready to be collected at the IND front office, you will receive another notification. Please note that this can take two to four weeks after your application has been approved.
If you come across any problems or have any questions, you can always email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(For International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) students a different procedure is in place. You will be contacted by your faculty regarding changes in your permit.)