Office Days: Monday - Friday
Please contact via email to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Ana Vasques was born in Portugal and spent her childhood in Angola and Brazil. During her research, Ana developed skills in Ecology, Environmental Sciences and Sustainability. She completed her BSc in Biology and her MSc in Ecology at the University of Aveiro (Portugal). In the meanwhile, she worked for a private research institute in Portugal, where she developed applied research in plant-insect interactions and pest management.
Later on, she completed a Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences at the University of Aveiro and at the Mediterranean Center for Environmental Studies (Spain) and developed a postdoctoral research in Ecosystem Modelling at Utrecht University (The Netherlands). Besides work, Ana enjoys painting, creative writing and dancing.
Why do you work at EUC?
EUC has a unique combination of characteristics that I personally find very inspiring, such as the small classes with active students, the international and multidisciplinary setting, the open, personal and friendly atmosphere and the possibility of sharing my passion for the study of life. I feel very glad and honoured to work in such a vibrant environment, as well as to be part of this wonderful community.
Ecology & Environmental Sciences
Epidemiology & Global Health
Papers in international scientific periodicals with referees
- Vasques A.R., Pinto G., Dias M.C., Correia C.M., Moutinho-Pereira J.M., Vallejo V.R., Santos C., Keizer J.J. 2016. Physiological response to drought in seedlings of Pistacia lentiscus (mastic tree). New Forests. 47, 1, 119-130. Link: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11056-015-9497-1 .
- Maia P., Vasques A., Pausas J.G., Viegas D.X., Keizer J.J. 2016. Fire effects on the seed bank of three Mediterranean shrubs: implications for fire management. Plant Ecology. 217, 10, 1235-1246. Link: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11258-016-0650-5 .
- Vasques A., Vallejo V.R., Santos M.C., Keizer J.J. 2014. The role of cold storage and seed source in the germination of three Mediterranean shrub species with contrasting dormancy types. Annals of Forest Science. 71, 8, 863-872. Link: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13595-014-0395-z .
- Maia P., Keizer J., Vasques A., Abrantes N., Roxo L., Fernandes P., Ferreira A., Moreira F. 2014. Post-fire plant diversity and abundance in pine and eucalypt stands in Portugal: Effects of biogeography, topography, forest type and post-fire management. Forest Ecology and Management. 334, 154-162. Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2014.08.030 .
- Vasques, A., Chirino, E., Vilagrosa, A., Vallejo, V.R., Keizer, J.J. 2013. The role of seed provenance in the early development of Arbutus unedo seedlings under contrasting watering conditions. Environmental And Experimental Botany. 96, 11-19. Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0098847213001196 .
- Vasques A., Maia P., Pedro M., Santos C., Vallejo R., Keizer J. 2012. Germination in five shrub species of Maritime Pine understory-does seed provenance matter?. Annals of Forest Science. 69, 4, 499-507. Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13595-012-0206-3 .
- Maia P., Pausas J.G., Vasques A., Keizer J.J. 2012. Fire severity as a key factor in post-fire regeneration. Annals of Forest Sciences. 69, 4, 489-498. Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13595-012-0203-6 .
- Montaña E., Benayas J., Vasques A., Razola I., Cayuela L. 2011. Conservation planning of vertebrate diversity in a Mediterranean agricultural-dominant landscape. Biological Conservation. 144, 10, 2468-2478. Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320711002540.
- Vasques A., Keizer J. 2014. Development of ecological basis for the use of plant species in ecological restoration after serious disturbances in: Planning and management of natural resources. Tribute to Professor Doctor Celeste Coelho. António Ferreira, Fatima Alves and Jacob Keizer (eds). University of Aveiro, Portugal. ISBN 978 972 789 432 1; DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.4641.4161 (written in Portuguese)
- Coelho C.O.A, Keizer J.J., Nunes J.P., Rial M.E.R., Varela M.E.T, Faria S.R., Ferreira R.S.V., Maia P.A.A., Malvar M.C., Prats S.A., Valente S., Vasques A.R.P.F., Vieira D.C.S. 2011. Fire Effects on Soil and Water Resources, and Their Mitigation. In: Amorim J.H., Keizer J.J., Miranda A.I., Monaghan K. (eds.), Forest fires research: beyond burnt area statistics. University of Aveiro, Portugal. ISBN 978-972-789-345-4
- Vasques A., Valente C. 2008. Pests and diseases in pine and eucalyptus stands - challenges for integrated management. Ch. 4.3. The importance of the understory in the population dynamics of Ctenarytaina spatulata and predators. ISA Press, Lisbon. ISBN: 978-972-8669-36-2 (written in Portuguese).
- Kéfi S., Vasques A., Schneider F., Rietkerk M., Mayor A.G., Verwijmeren M. Diaz-Sierra R., Baudena, M. August 2016. Response of Mediterranean drylands to increasing pressures. Deliverable 6.1 of the European project CASCADE: CAtastrophicShiftsindrylands:howCAnwepreventecosystemDEgradation?
- Vasques A. 2014. Understanding plant functions to promote crop sustainability. Eds. Manuela Morais e António Serafim. Newsletter of the Network of the Environmental Studies in Portuguese speaking countries (REAPLP), 13, pp:15-16. Avaliable online at http://www.realp.uevora.pt/Divulgacao/Newsletters (written in Portuguese).
- Vasques, A. 2014. Use of natural engineering for water purification. Eds. Manuela Morais e António Serafim. Newsletter of the Network of the Environmental Studies in Portuguese speaking countries (REAPLP), 11, pp:16-17. Avaliable online at http://www.realp.uevora.pt/Divulgacao/Newsletters (written in Portuguese).