Why study Master Place, Culture and Tourism
Explore the world through the study of tourism. Why do people travel? For example, how can we make sense of New Zealand's 50% increase in tourism after the release of the Lord of the Rings trilogy? What makes a city or region attractive to visit: what motivates over 1.5 million people each year to visit Auschwitz in Poland? What role do media play in tourism industry?
These are just some of the questions that are dealt with within the master’s programme. It’s all about understanding the interplay between place, culture and tourism. Join our programme and become a specialist in one of the fastest growing sectors of today’s society. We provide you with the knowledge and skills to anticipate and understand the global dynamics between societies, cultures, media and tourism.
Five reasons to choose Place, Culture and Tourism
• As one of the few masters in tourism, this programme is interdisciplinary and combines research from sociological, cultural economic and media perspectives
• You will be able to approach today’s challenges in the tourist industry from different perspectives and find creative solutions.
• Your teachers will share with you their theoretical knowledge and their experiences from global research projects. They are renowned scholars who are on top of the new developments and most cutting-edge studies in the field.
• Experience intercultural communication, don’t just study it! At Erasmus University Rotterdam, you study in a diverse and international environment. This means that you will become part of a diverse community and meet people from all around the world when you study here.
• Rotterdam is one of the most up-and-coming tourist destinations of the moment, which enables you to test the theories in your immediate environment. You will be surrounded by an interesting network that can be useful to you in your development from student to professional.
Want to know all the ins and outs of this programme? Have a look at Stijn Reijnders' educational movie below.