Current facets (Pre-Master)
Celebrating exceptional performances of staff and students
During the opening of the Academic Year, Erasmus University Rotterdam will pay tribute to the exceptional performances of a number of its academics, students and employees. On Monday, 4 September, the university’s awards will be presented and one student placed in the spotlight. The theme of the Opening is ‘Building Vital Cities, Empowering Vital Citizens’.
True to tradition, the university’s awards will be presented during the Opening of the Academic Year. This involves both researchers and students who have performed outstandingly.
In the same way as last year, one student will (literally) be placed ‘in the spotlight’. Introduced last year, this part of the Opening allows one student five minutes in which to present his or her own initiative; an initiative with exceptional social impact.
This year’s winners are:
- Education Prize (nominated):
Dr Payal Arora, associate professor, Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
Dr Etienne Augé, senior lecturer, Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
Professor Maarten Frens, Dean of Erasmus University College
- Research Prize: Dr Sanne Opree, assistent professor, Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
- Professor Bruins Prize (presented to a research master student who has achieved an excellent academic achievement and demonstrated outstanding research qualities): Gizem Yalçin, a research master student at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM)
- Professor H.W. Lambers Prize (presented to an excellent student with two master degrees):
- Fleur Osté, a master student at Erasmus School of Law/Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM)
- Brian Yuk Shouw Chung, a master student at Erasmus School of Economics
- Rotterdam Thesis Prize (presented to the student that wrote the most valuable thesis for the city of Rotterdam): Dee Dee Smeets, a master student of Public Administration, Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences, for her master thesis ‘Single mothers & civic contribution'
- ENVH Athena Prize (for employees who make exceptional efforts to support female talent): Professor Werner Brouwer, Dean of the Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management
- Top Support Award (Individual): Eva Rood, Co-director of the Centre for Eco-transformation at RSM and project manager of the sustainability project
- Top Support Award (Team): the project team for DLWO (digital learning and working environment) education
- Student in the spotlight: Teodor Cataniciu, student of International Business Administration, and his initiative ‘Restart Network’
All the information can be found on the Opening of the Academic Year’s website.
Mayor Aboutaleb to be guest speaker
This year the guest speaker at the Opening of the Academic Year will be Ahmed Aboutaleb, Mayor of Rotterdam. In his speech, he will discuss the theme of the Opening (and one of the Erasmus Initiatives): Building Vital Cities, Empowering Vital Citizens. In addition, speeches will be given by Kristel Baele, President of the Executive Board, and Professor Huibert Pols, Rector Magnificus. The latter will officially open the academic year.
For the first time, this year’s ceremony will be moderated by a student: IBA student Mayeul de Kerros.