Meet Rotterdam Zuid
Rotterdam Zuid, the southern part of the city, is quite a long bike ride away from campus. For that reason students tend to give the area a miss. However, there is a world waiting to be discovered.
Zuid is said to cover all of the area south of the Nieuwe Maas, comprising the boroughs of Charlois, Feijenoord, Hoogvliet, and IJsselmonde. It suffered from a bad reputation for a long time, but that’s changing.
What is there to like?
The district has a grand mix of cultures. Here you can find shopping streets with a Polish supermarket or the Gulcan gift shop, instead of an ordinary Albert Heijn. It makes the streets lively and vibrant, and the food considerably cheaper.
That also goes for housing. The Feijenoord and Charlois neighbourhoods have a student population of 8% and 7% respectively. (By way of comparison, in Kralingen-West, which is considered student heaven, 12% of the population are students.) That makes the housing in Zuid very affordable.
What more is there to like?
Even CNN mentioned Zuid when they wrote about Rotterdam being Europe’s new capital of cool. ‘The Fenix Food Factory occupies a former warehouse in the city's Katendrecht district. Here, young entrepreneurs sell locally sourced food and drinks, while helping to transform what was long a rundown, red light district.’
Zuid also is the place to be for a great festival. This summer the area will feature:
* Crazy Sexy Cool Festival, Zuiderpark, 5 August, www.crazysexycoolfestival.nl
* Het Welkom Thuis Straattheater Festival, Katendrecht and surroundings, 26 August, https://goo.gl/RzTZNa
* Wereld Haven Dagen, Around Maas river – Southside, 1, 2 and 3 September, www.wereldhavendagen.nl
* Nacht van de Kaap, Katendrecht, 2 September, www.denachtvandekaap.nl
* Baroeg Open Air Festival, Zuiderpark, 9 September, www.baroegopenair.nl