Current facets (Pre-Master)
Tackling Housing Challenges in the Global South
The first International Social Housing Festival is a week-long event which takes place between 13th and 21st of June 2017, in Amsterdam. It will feature various events, exhibitions, meetings, field visits, community activities and workshops, with the aim of generating responses to current and future housing challenges.
IHS and its partners (Cities Alliance, REALL and TU Delft’s Global Housing Study Centre) will organise a workshop called "Housing for the Global South: policies and design". This will take place on June 20, in the tower room of Het Schip Museum.
The migration of the population from rural to urban areas creates massive challenges in terms of formal housing in the Global South. Most often, the demand is too high and migrants end up living in informal settlements, with poor access to services and infrastructure. Cities are rapidly growing influenced by these trends, similar to the phenomenon of rapid urban growth in European cities, during the industrialisation age. This led to the development of social housing, as it is known nowadays in the Netherlands and other European countries.
What will you learn from this workshop?
By looking at European and Dutch housing principles and their application on experience in developing countries, together with our partners, we hope to inspire you to find innovative and affordable solutions to housing issues in cities of the Global South.
- Short presentation of housing challenges in the Global South
- Coffee table exercise/small group discussions on housing challenges in the Global South
- Choice of workshop: policies or design
- Policies: Cities Alliance, IHS, REALL share country and case study experiences from across the Global South
- Design: TUD-GHSC hosts a design game (Southopolis), where you learn to address affordable housing issues by designing a housing complex in the context of the Global South.
- Closing plenary feedback session
IHS: Alonso Ayala, senior housing specialist, Ellen Geurts, housing specialist
Cities Alliance: Omar Siddique, senior urban specialist
REALL: Marie-Odile Zanders, Programme Director of Enterprise Consulting
TUD-GHSC: Nelson Mota, Ana Chagas Cavalcanti