Current facets (Pre-Master)
Vacancy: Full Professor of Higher Education in a Digital Environment
To tackle the challenges of providing top-level university education, Leiden University, Delft University of Technology and Erasmus University Rotterdam have joined forces. Through this partnership three universities with complementary specializations create a world-class platform for educational research, innovation and training: the Centre for Education and Learning.
Centre for Education and Learning offers researchers the advantages of comparative analyses, mixed methods, larger research populations, and big data. Special attention is given to open online teaching and learning. With a growing number of multidisciplinary projects, new ideas, methods and tools are constantly emerging. The universities themselves are the testing ground where innovations are put in practice, creating a unique living lab for improving education. Teachers are actively involved in the exploration of new opportunities as well. They participate in research and experiments, as well as workshops and professional training. This cooperation between research, development and education results in innovation with a real impact, enriching the teacher, the learning environment and ultimately the student. With an expanding variety of evidence-based educational approaches, the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus initiative empowers students to become the leaders of tomorrow. The LDE Centre for Education and Learning now seeks to appoint a Professor of Higher Education. The Professor will be formally appointed at Delft University of Technology in the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science.
The chair of Higher Education covers the whole domain of higher education and includes the scientific reflection on research and theory development in the broad field of higher education. Subareas of higher education research and theory development include: 1) students and their study success; 2) teachers and their teaching success; 3) learning environments for on-campus, online and blended teaching and learning; 4) special topics such as assessment, internationalisation, diversity, and educational policy; 5) teaching and learning in specific disciplines. The chair has a focus on teaching and learning in a digital environment, for instance, online and blended forms of education followed by data analytics of these learning processes. New knowledge is to be created in this relatively new field of research. The three LDE universities are among the forerunners in this field and consider it of the utmost importance that these innovations are as much evidence-based as possible. The chair holder can rely and build on existing expertise within CEL and its pillars in the individual universities. It is expected that the chair holder will bring the various researchers together and will promote knowledge exchange and joint knowledge creation. The research will enable evidence-informed university policy making, evidence-informed development of new university teaching projects, and evidence-informed continuous professional training of university teachers. The research will also ameliorate teaching and learning theory.
The chair holder is expected to:
Conduct, initiate and supervise scientific research in the domain of teaching and learning in higher education;
(Co-)supervise PhD-projects, be responsible for the CEL PhD network, and initiate and maintain a PhD programme in Higher Education of the LDE institutions; • Initiate and submit proposals for acquisition of externally funded projects, both research and development projects;
Teach and promote and support teaching in on-campus, online and blended courses, be involved in and promote and support curriculum development of higher education, and be involved in consultancy in the area of on-campus, online and blended higher education;
- Be the CEL director providing leadership to the research programme as well as to the development of educational innovation projects, the continuous professional training in higher education, and to the CEL community development;
- Build and maintain strong positive relationships between CEL and important bodies of the Leiden/Delft/Erasmus universities, important national and international bodies, and important national and international interuniversity and professional organisations.
The candidate is an internationally renowned expert in the domain of teaching and learning in higher education, with a focus on these processes in a digital environment. He/she is an experienced academic leader who is capable of facilitating top level research, development and teaching in this domain, and who is also a team player. In addition, the candidate meets the following requirements: he/she
- is a successful teacher in higher education, which is corroborated by positive course evaluations and excellent students’ results;
- is enthusiastic about both fundamental and applied scientific research, evidenced by a doctorate in educational science or related discipline, and has a strong track record of peer-reviewed research in the field of higher education, including articles in top international journals and publications with high relevance for practice and policies of higher education;
- likes to support and is successful in supporting PhD students, evidenced by a record of successfully supervised PhD projects;
- has a rich experience in developing innovative on-campus, online and blended higher education methods and instruments;
- has good knowledge of funding opportunities and skills to successfully participate in bidding processes to acquire external funding for research and development, evidenced by a record of successful grant activity;
- has excellent leadership, management and communication skills, evidenced by successful fulfilment of administrative posts at various levels, in order to support faculty in effectively meeting their responsibilities and individual goals for research, development and teaching, and to lead key initiatives that promote excellent on-campus, online and blended research-informed university teaching;
- can be a binding force for faculty of different universities and build strong, positive relationships with internal and external national and international bodies and organisations.
Please find the full vacancy on Academic Transfer: Full Professor of Higher Education in a Digital Environment