Admission requirements for Research Master Public Administration and Organisational Science
We invite students with a relevant, international Bachelor’s Degree to apply for our programme. Successful participation in the Research Master’s programme requires a student to be well grounded in general academic knowledge and skills. They should have basic knowledge of core issues in the research area of public administration and public organisations. A strong command of research methods is recommended. We are looking for students with an honours degree, or in-depth knowledge of theory and research in the domain and proven excellence in conducting research at bachelor’s degree level.
Candidates for the Research Master’s Programme must hold one of the following degrees:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration;
- An (inter)national Bachelor's Degree or a one-year (inter)national Master's Degree or a Dutch or University College Utrecht (UCU) Bachelor's Degree in one of the related disciplines:
- General Social Sciences
- Political Science
- Social Sciences
- Human Resource Management
- Organisational Science
- Cultural Anthropology
- Policy Studies,
- Business Administration
In principle, successful participation in the Research Master’s Programme is feasible for students who are well-grounded in general academic knowledge and skills. In addition, they should have knowledge of, and insight and skills in issues of public administration and public organisations, and of research methods. More formally: an honours degree, or in-depth knowledge of theory and research in the domain and proven excellence in conducting research at bachelor’s degree level, is a prerequisite.
Students with a Bachelor’s Degree other than in Public Administration should have completed:
- At least a minor in Public Administration and Organisational Science or courses in the Bachelor’s Programme that are equivalent to the minor courses;
- At least a basic introduction to research methods, including quantitative and qualitative methods of Public Administration and Policy and Organisation research, and they should be able to set up and carry out empirical research.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply*:
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 7.0 overall band, at least 6.5 for writing.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score: 100, institutional scores are not accepted (the TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062).
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English, at least a B grade.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, at least a C grade.
*Exceptions: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you obtained your secondary school diploma and/or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa, or you obtained an IB Diploma or EB Diploma (taught in English).