The HR international department is very aware of the many questions regarding Brexit, and is awaiting the outcome of the political debate in the UK that is still ongoing.

Whether the United Kingdom (UK) will leave the European Union (EU), and how exactly, is still unknown, now the European Union has granted Theresa May some delay. Both the Houses of Commons AND Lords voted on April 8 against an ominous ‘no-deal-Brexit’ that loomed on April 12, but the future is still highly uncertain.   

We do know that the consequences of a Brexit will certainly have impact on all British people coming to or staying in The Netherlands. And we try to keep you informed.

Transition scheme and personal letter

The Dutch government has announced that a transitional period until April 2020 will come into place for all British citizens who are lawfully resident in the Netherlands on 29 March (and registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)). The IND sent a personal letter to all British registered and known in the week of 14 January, explaining what the Brexit entails for them. The information is also given on the ND Brexit webpages. In principle the Dutch government has decided to allow British citizens and their family members to remain entitled to live, work and study in the Netherlands for at least another 15 months.

In our estimate it will surely become more difficult to live in one country (i.e. resident in UK), and -temporarily- work in another (The Netherlands). Even though there is a 15 month ‘bridge period’ for current British citizens, and legislation that won’t make it too difficult for newcoming researchers to come the Netherlands, newcoming professional services staff will have to face requirements for highly skilled migrants, amongst which (high) salary criteria. The bilateral tax treaty between the UK and The Netherlands will not (yet?) be changed. That the Dutch law system will likely prevail in most employment relationships could have consequences for social security premium payments: in some cases premiums may have to be paid in both UK and The Netherlands, making it unattractive for some people to reside in one country and work in another. An article (in Dutch) tries to describe what employers may expect. The current inconclusive situation makes it impossible, however, to estimate the effects to any individual.

Find out more about the possible consequences of Brexit and what you can do now. This website will be updated in the event of new developments. A more general desk providing information is in Amsterdam: the Brexit Information Point (A’dam Zuid/World Trade Centre). The website of the UK Government also shows the latest updates regarding the Brexit.

Subscribe to the Brexit newsletter

Stay informed on Brexit developments. Subscribe to the Brexit newsletter for migrants.


Do you have questions about your right of residence? Call the IND Brexit information line: +31 (0)88 04 30410. This number can be reached from Monday to Friday from 09.00 am to 17.00 pm.

Brexit – through the eyes of Britain


What are the consequences of Great Britain's departure from the EU?

Read more