Short-stay (Schengen)

Schengen visa is a travel visa

A Schengen visa  (also called a short stay visa or C-visa) is a travel visa issued for a stay of 90 days maximum. Depending on nationality, a Schengen visa may be needed to enter the Netherlands. This applies for nationalities of country group IV in the country overview.
The Schengen visa allows you to travel freely within the Schengen area.

A Schengen visa is often confused with a tourist visa. The Schengen visa is issued for specific purposes, only one of which is tourism. Visitors to and employees of the EUR must apply for a Schengen visa for the purpose of ‘employment’.

You must apply for a Schengen visa from the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin or legal residence. The applicant must apply for the visa personally, using the application form. The following documents must be included with the application:

  • a valid passport that is still valid for at least three months;
  • proof of financial means for the costs of stay in the Netherlands
  • documents evidencing the purpose of the trip. For example a letter of appointment or hospitality agreement.

Upon issue of the Schengen visa (in the event of a positive decision therefore), the following must also be submitted:

  • a return ticket;
  • evidence of health insurance, with minimum coverage of € 30,000 and valid throughout the Schengen area for the whole period of stay.

The processing of a visa application takes anywhere from a minimum of several days to a maximum of 2 months, if further investigation is necessary. In the event of a positive decision the applicant is informed that the visa sticker can be picked up from the consulate or embassy.

The fee for a Schengen visa comes to € 60, except for nationals of countries with which the European Union has a visa facilitation agreement (a reduced fee of € 35, applies). These are the following countries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Ukraine, Russia or Serbia.

You may apply for a multiple-entry Schengen visa. The days that the applicant will spend in the Schengen area are added up. The total stay may not exceed 90 days per half year. In principle a Schengen cannot be extended. However, under certain circumstances, it is possible for scientific researchers and guest lectures to extend the Schengenvisa.