Philosophy (Philosophy and Economics)
Master of Arts (MA) in Philosophy (Philosophy and Economics)
The Research Master in Philosophy and Economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam is unique in studying all aspects of the philosophy of economics. It is an intensive two-year programme, where you can profit from a truly interdisciplinary environment.
The Research Master builds on an internationally recognised line of research and teaching in analytic philosophy and economics at the Erasmus Institute for Philosophy and Economics (EIPE), in the Faculty of Philosophy of Erasmus University Rotterdam. The Research Master is an excellent preparation for an academic career in the growing field of Philosophy and Economics, including for example a subsequent PhD project at EIPE or elsewhere.
Why study a Research Master in Philosophy (Philosophy and Economics) in Rotterdam?
- Study in an intensive two-year full time programme.
- Prepare for PhD studies at the Erasmus Institute for Philosophy and Economics (EIPE) and top-quality programmes elsewhere.
- One of the best Research Master programmes in Philosophy and among the Top-22 of all Master Programmes in the Netherlands.
The programme prepares you for the following:
- Further research leading to a PhD, at Erasmus University or elsewhere.
- Graduates are well equipped to pursue PhDs in philosophy of economics, philosophy, economics, and social sciences.
- Graduate destinations include programmes at the London School of Economics (LSE), University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, Tilburg, Nottingham, and other leading research universities.
The Research Master Philosophy and Economics aims to prepare students for an academic career in the area of philosophy and economics. It provides a thorough grounding in the main areas of the philosophy of economics. You will be able to understand and critique complex texts, conduct independent interdisciplinary research projects and present your work in a clear manner.
The programme comprises two years of study (120 EC) in analytic philosophy. The curriculum comprises ten courses altogether: seven so-called core courses in philosophy of economics and three courses in the fields of philosophy of science, ethics, history of philosophy or philosophical anthropology. You finish the programme by writing a thesis and a PhD research proposal.
Read more about: Curriculum Research Master in Philosophy (Philosophy and Economics)
You will follow seminars where teachers engage in a direct exchange of ideas with students and give immediate feedback on their class participation and written assignments. You actively participate in the bi-weekly PhD-seminars. All students are appointed an academic advisor to discuss their plans and performance in the programme on a regular basis.
Highly qualified students who already have an MA degree in Philosophy or Economics can be offered a shortened programme. The programme focuses on studying the philosophy of economics with the tools of analytic philosophy.
- A Bachelor/Master in Economics, or Philosophy, Philosophy and Economics, or related programmes
- A grade for the BA thesis equivalent to at least 8 in the Dutch grading system
- An average grade in the BA equivalent to at least 8 in the Dutch grading system
- A successful proficiency test of English
- A detailed letter of intent
- A writing sample in philosophy or economics
Do you meet the requirements? Start your application in Studielink. After your application in Studielink, Erasmus University Rotterdam will inform you about next steps.
Do you meet the requirements? Start your application in Studielink. After your application in Studielink, Erasmus University Rotterdam will informs you about next steps.
Read more about: Application Research Master in Philosophy (Philosophy and Economics)